Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI know I already mentioned it, but on a rewatch it stood out
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744690&mesg_id=746382
746382, I know I already mentioned it, but on a rewatch it stood out
Posted by soulfunk, Mon Oct-17-22 08:38 AM
even MORE.

This is the sixth episode of the season and they are intruducing a ton of characters in each episode. In this one episode, they introduced Commandant Jayhold, and we got to know him better than almost any other imperial officer we've seen in Star Wars. And then he dies, in the SAME episode he's introduced.

We meet his boss the engineer. We get to know his family. We learn the dynamic of why he's hoping this day goes well, so he and his family can get moved to a better assignment on another planet. We see how overbearing he is to his son. We see how his wife goes tit for tat with him, jabbing about how maybe his he who has "expanded" vs. his dress uniform compressing. We see how he takes the pressure about his job from his superiors and puts that down on the people who work for him. As someone who is in middle management in a large corporation, I FELT that.

Then during the heist, we see the engineer get killed trying to have the rebels let Jayhold's son free. We see the "good guys" put a gun to the head of a CHILD. Then when the rebels make the imperial's load the bounty, Jayhold was also forced to help, after it's been established that he is not in good shape. The work of having to move that heavy cargo plus the stress of his family being in danger and blasters being pointed at everyone gets to him, and dude dies of a heart attack. We don't know what happens to his wife and son - we see them later but did Cinta leave without killing the prisoners who saw her? We don't know.

And all of this was really just a subplot to the episode. This is just outstanding television - we know more about this dude from one episode than we do about Tarkin who has been in Star Wars since 1977.

>i am so into this show...mainly because of the
>characters...ALL of them, even the 'minor' ones are expertly
>created/crafted/presented: (JUST the right amount of dialogue,
>without over exposition. Just the right amount of background
>info, providing various levels of grounded motivations. All
>performed with excellence. *CHEFS KISS* on ALL of the
>characters, big AND small!)
>