Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI had to check the dates on the earlier posts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=595626&mesg_id=744711
744711, I had to check the dates on the earlier posts
Posted by Beamer6178, Fri May-27-22 02:50 PM
The structural racism embedded within Hollywood, as all American institutions, makes it more analogous to baseball. White privilege and preference has run rampant. We know that at any given time, only a handful of Black actors even get good ROLES, much less good movies.

I remember criticizing Soul Plane when it came out not because Black people shouldn't make ratchet shit, but because I didn't feel we had the luxury. Aston Kutcher gets to do Dude Where's my Car then gets the Butterfly Effect, Jobs, etc.

DeNiro and Pacino are overrated because of the mythological relationship between organized crime and American Lore. Those particular movies they were in get more weight and gravity, as do their attachment to it. They have shown range and brought much to the table, but what was VALUED allowed for those affiliated to eat and eat well.

Goodfellas is actually the last film I saw of his (few years ago) but Liotta always added weight to his films. He was serious about his craft even if he wasn't playing a serious role.

RIP