Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm still not ready to even decide how I feel about this episode or
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743080&mesg_id=743578
743578, I'm still not ready to even decide how I feel about this episode or
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Feb-10-22 02:31 PM
the series in general. I haven't felt this conflicted about something in a WHILE. There were things I loved in the episode, things I really didn't like, and with it as a finale gives the same feeling for the entire season. Because there were certain things throughout the season that I questioned, but waited on it because I trusted Filoni anf Favreau to use Checkov's gun in some type of way to make it make sense. But Not that the season is over it's just like...hmm...

I think that what I mentioned in post 77 is what happened. Back during early scriptwriting/storyboarding for Mandalorian season 3, they realized that the Boba Fett/Pikes subplot could be it's own show, so they did exactly that - took it out to make Book of Boba Fett. They added flashbacks to bring Boba's story from the Sarlacc through the Tuskens back to the present day, included some of the Mando plot because if he was going to be in it helping Boba they needed an explanation for what he'd done after season 2 of Mando. This theory explains why before Mando season 2 they said season 3 was coming in December 2021, but at the end of the season they announced that Boba's show was coming December 2021 instead.

Here's the shift - I'd originally thought this happened early, during scriptwriting. But if that was the case they would have had plenty of time to make changes to the story, and make it actually cohesive. Now I'm thinking that the change happened after they'd already done some filming of what was supposed to be in Mando season 3. That's the only way I can imagine how disjointed the pacing was in this show.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Disney Gallery to get some additional insight on how this all came together. But I can't remember ANY other thing I've watched where I was saying at the same time "this is AMAZING!!!" and "What the eff are they doing with this???"