Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm still mixed on it after a rewatch
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=718581&mesg_id=742495
742495, I'm still mixed on it after a rewatch
Posted by handle, Fri Oct-29-21 02:58 PM
It's better than the 1984 movie - any of the released cuts of it.

More bad things:
The Baron AND Piter seem like shells of themselves. The 1984 movie got closer to them - as over the top as they were they TALKED.

The Baron's voice is bad. His lack of menace by remaking so still is bad. His lack of TALKING is bad. The "punch to the neck" painful parallels crammed into your throat to Kurtz in Apocalypse Now is FUCKING AWFUL.

The first 20 minutes of the movie were all new stuff that was added - up until the Gom Jabbar scene - they could have pared that down to 10 minutes.

The opening quote was REALLY bad - the book did it SO MUCH better.
Movie ""Dreams Are Messages From The Deep." "
Book: "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."

The initial Duncan Idaho scene feels like an improv game - almost every line is repeated in another form several times.

The "Lamentful singing" in the score was so jarring and bad. It reminded me of The Simpson's Itchy and Scratchy musical; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tXJpncRow#t=37s

Many of the desert shots looks like models to me. Same with any flying vehicle. That's okay I guess.

Paul speaking lines to describe the obvious events happening was eye rollingly bad.

The Lady Jessica was played wrong - IMHO.

The voices that Paul hears - why do they sound like a cartoon ghoul??

And the ending "this is just the beginning" made no sense at all. And the little smile. I know Paul is SPRUNG ON THE CAT but it was just a poor way to end it. (Imagine it happening in the seitch and then ending being the chants.)

And for a film set on a desert planet I didn't see a single person sweat. Do the Right Thing seemed 100 times hotter than Arrakis.

I dunno - it wasn't a BAD movie - it just that but it was pretty clunky.

I DID ask a friend who has not read the books what he thought the movie was about and he pretty much got the conflict between the emperor and the House Atreides and how he used the Harkonnen's to try to mitigate that threat. So I guess a lot of it came through.