Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAs a big Kaufman fan, it's definitely my least favorite Kaufman.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=739409&mesg_id=739452
739452, As a big Kaufman fan, it's definitely my least favorite Kaufman.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-14-20 11:44 AM
(Well, outside of Human Nature, but that doesn't even feel remotely Kaufman-y, so I don't consider it.)

I loved individual scenes/moments/lines, but it's, even by Kaufman standards, really reveling in its inscrutability. Like, Kaufman being up his own ass has created some brilliant fucking movies, but he might be so far up his own ass here that he's starting to see daylight.

Plemons and Buckley are great, and the dialogue is, per usual, very sharp. And frankly, I admire that Kaufman can grab Netflix money and say "fuck it, I'm gonna go full Kaufman to the point of alienating people." It's certainly more interesting to watch this sort of movie than something more phoned in and boring-- so I still enjoyed it on the whole for those sorts of reasons.

That said, if I feel like I can't wrap my head around your movie without reading essays or books outside of the film? Then either I'm an idiot (very possible!) or the movie is not achieving its goal. Unless inscrutability *is* the goal, in which case... on one hand, do your thing, but on the other hand, *jerkoff hand motion*, y'know?