Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIf there is a show this reminds me of it's Homeland. *Spoilers*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=731519&mesg_id=738258
738258, If there is a show this reminds me of it's Homeland. *Spoilers*
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Mar-21-20 09:12 AM
Started incredibly strong and then the limits of the narrative and the characters quickly make themselves known.

Awful people being awful to each other and stupid only can go so far.

Charlotte is just shitty teenage daughter from Homeland. At least the son is given something to do besides wonder what's for breakfast. Unfortunately they made him a mini-criminal mastermind which is just...dumb.

By the end of this season Ozark episodes had become so repetitive that it'd become a slog. Thankfully they cleared some pieces off the board and most of them were the weakest characters/performers (sweaty FBI Agent, Ruth's sweaty dad, and Justified-reject Jacob).

I still think losing Esai Morales put a huge dent in this show. At least he was interesting in ways that Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, as good as they are as performers, are not.

I hope the third season can recapture some of the magic of the initial season but I don't really have high hopes because there are limits to these kinds of characters and these kinds of stories. I'm not rooting for any of these people (Maybe Ruth and homie with Down Syndrome) so seeing them get out of the jams they are in doesn't hold much thrill as it did w/ something like Breaking Bad.