Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMy assessments from the trailer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699022&mesg_id=704257
704257, My assessments from the trailer
Posted by DVS, Wed Nov-04-15 11:18 AM
1. The situation with the violence in Chicago is entirely too serious of a concept to joke around with. For all of his work with Bamboozled....the trailer appears to be turning the youth of Chicago into a caricature in and of itself. The shit going on on the South Side is too current and too important to crack jokes about. I didn't see anything promising or redeeming in that trailer.

2. The biggest issue I've had with Spike is his writing. It was okay when he was younger because he was still "current", so the novelty of seeing hip-hop sensibilities on the screen overshadowed any issue I had with his character development. However....watching this trailer I literally CRINGED at least 4 times from poorly delivered or poorly written lines. Maybe I'm missing the tone of the movie...but I find it very difficult to believe any plot devices are going to save some of the out and out BULLSHIT I saw written in that dialogue.

3. I've said this before and I've said it again...I applaud Spike for the way that he took his shooting to the neighborhoods in question. I can tell you that niggaz on my block were about to cause a full blown riot if he didn't come out to talk to them...which is usually not his thing. So props for coming to the people with that. However...the issues between gender are too serious and too real. The tone of this film feels downright irresponsible.

Yes I know the 1st point and the 3rd point are essentially the same thing...but that shit was so important to me, I had to say it twice.