Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Lady Vanishes.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=597738&mesg_id=600473
600473, The Lady Vanishes.
Posted by The Analyst, Sat Feb-25-12 02:37 PM
Yet another Hitchcock movie that I initially thought was taking a while to get going, but once it did, I was completely all in. I admit that at first I was rolling my eyes, saying to my girlfriend, "don't tell me this is really going to be just her bumping her head and imagining Mrs. Froy the whole time," but nope, I was way off. Very cleverly plotted overall, with a lot of masterful direction that really maximized the suspense.

I admit I was slightly at odds with the shootout scene at the end, but, whatever. I'm just not 100% percent sure why they needed to go that route - that scene was the least plausible part of the film and I'm not entirely sure what it added. Maybe Hitchcock wanted a way to be able to kill the annoying/cowardly guy who was on the train with his sidepiece. (Btw, I eventually found the two British dudes watching the whole thing go down to be hilarious.) Overall, great movie. (And the Criterion blu-ray looked pretty damn good for a 75 year old movie...)