Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: I don't know how much better it would have been
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=597738&mesg_id=600412
600412, RE: I don't know how much better it would have been
Posted by The Analyst, Fri Feb-24-12 05:11 PM
Even in it's present form I thought it was better than "decent". Going into to it I questioned if it would live up its lofty reputation, and my expectations were sort of dominating my mind for the first 20 minutes or so. I think it's a great credit to the movie that I basically started to forget all about those expectations and get absorbed in the story. Certain parts had me positively riveted - the dinner table outburst of George telling Eugene how he felt about him (and automobiles) was exceptional. (Joe Cotton killed.)

There are a few things I really can't get over. Firstly, how incredibly confident Welles seemed as both a storyteller and a film maker on only his first and second features. To me, there is an undeniable assuredness there that most filmmakers never achieve. Secondly, the fact that he was only in his mid-twenties!! That shit is mind blowing. At that age, to have a technical mastery that impressive (as well as an incredible level of insight into the human psyche - and the knowledge of how to convey it through film) is mind blowing to me.

I'm checking out the other titles you mentioned soon, as well as The Lady from Shanghai.