Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI liked the monotony.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=597738&mesg_id=599204
599204, I liked the monotony.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Feb-13-12 04:13 PM
I agree that at times it definitely verges on uncinematic (the most "cinematic" moment-- the Pena revelation at the end-- was maybe my least favorite part of the movie), but I couldn't help but see in it one of my best friends, who went through a very similar, monotonous, undramatic alcoholism that ended up taking him to a really scary place. The scene with Howerton in the bar... I sat and wondered if I'd ever offered my friend a drink in such a flip manner before.

It's really hard to toe that line between realism and flatness. I probably enjoyed it more solely from watching a friend go through it mere months earlier... not sure how it'd play on repeat. I do remember thinking it was the first time I'd seen Ferrell in a serious role in which he seemed effortless-- Stranger Than Fiction seemed at times to me to be Ferrell trying desperately to not be funny. This movie let him be funny at times, which made it all the sadder in others.