Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectyou make some fair assessments and i dont think
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=597738&mesg_id=598184
598184, you make some fair assessments and i dont think
Posted by astralblak, Fri Feb-03-12 11:40 PM
you're being an apologist. That's the tricky thing about creating period pieces: we want things to be "authentic", while still being entertained. Yes, liberties should be taken, but at what cost?

For me as a person of color, with half of my ancestors being descendents of Maya/Azteca people, seeing us up on the big screen greedy, corrupted by power and destroying/killing each other is highly problematic; especially when in that moment it wasn't the case. It's the same argument Blacks have been making about representation in film for near a century. I think because Apocalypto exist outside of the American racial schism of Black/White, people (in particular whites) are quicker to dismiss to historical and racial inaccuracies to enjoy the film on a film for film's sake basis

either way, after this conversation, i think imma Netflix it this weekend and see if I still feel the same about it as i did the year it dropped