Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBwood's review: *** SPOILERS ***
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=585589&mesg_id=585608
585608, Bwood's review: *** SPOILERS ***
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Oct-23-11 09:53 AM
I did a search and saw nothing. If there is another post redirect me.

Saw this shit two weeks ago.

First off who knew Elizabeth Olsen had some big titties? I didn't and wouldn't expect to either judging with her clothes on.

Man is this some creepy tense filled shit. As my moderator said to John Hawkes during the Q&A his character is a nice blend of creepy, evil, and smooth. It's amazing how his character Patrick easily brainwashes the members of his cult to do some seriously disgusting and despicable shit.

Part of the reason the tension runs high throughout this film is Elizabeth Olsen. Her character Martha is seriously fucked up from what happened at the cult and her twisted psyche and trouble adapting back into the fold of normal life makes this shit dummy tense. The story is told from her point of view, so Martha's paranoia is transplanted on the audience very effectively due to her performance and the structure of the film.

Also the structure of the film makes this tense too. The film flashes back to the past to show the time in the cult and shows the now in the present. Watching the layers of the flashback with the ever increasing situation in the present makes the film alot more interesting as if it would have a normal narrative.

The score is fucking creepy and unnerving and adds that third layer that builds upon the tension.

Now with that all said Hugh Dancy's character is a fucking douche. Martha is obviously fucked in the head and what does he do in one scene, wakes her up in the middle of the night and chases her around the house and acts like a victim when she kicks him down the stairs. When he's introduced you could tell this dude was going to be a prick.

Also, the abrupt ending is gonna piss some people off. But this has sparked conversations that have go on forever on have they or haven't they.

What's interesting to note is that Sean Durkin has talked to real cult members who escaped and has said what Martha experiences in the film, is what some of them have experienced for two months to even two years after escaping. Imagine living like that for two years. It was hard experiencing that for two hours...