Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA decent flick... I think Joe Wright got too ambitious here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=400779&mesg_id=448143
448143, A decent flick... I think Joe Wright got too ambitious here.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Apr-25-09 05:14 PM
He tries all sorts of things, all sorts of flashbacks, all sorts of visuals and special effects, in an attempt to make it a really epic inspiring film. At the end of the day, it's constantly interesting but fails to inspire.

Downey Jr. did a terrific job as the morally ambiguous lead, and Foxx did better here than in Ray, although I was constantly questioning why they kept dressing him in such silly costumes-- the only four or five articles of clothing he had HAD to be laugh-provoking buffoonish shit? We get that he's crazy, the dialogue and acting make him plenty eccentric enough, he doesn't need all the extra stuff to make us laugh at him... so that element bugged me.

Still, it's worth a peek if you're interested. Nothing outstanding, but Joe Wright is a very skilled director, full of ideas, and he worships at the altar of light, sound, and visuals telling the story, which I immensely respect.