Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: The last line of the film...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=423462&mesg_id=425467
425467, RE: The last line of the film...
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jan-06-09 02:20 AM
>...shows that not only is what she did not okay, but it
>haunts her.

Well, what exactly Sister Aloysius has "doubts" about is purposely left open ended, which you know. But, again, if he look at through the prism of her getting Father Flynn to leave, and taking into context Flynn's opening speech, the fact that she has doubts redeems her in the eyes of the story. That she has doubts about what she actions, not her actions themselves, that are really important.

>Meanwhile, while Flynn suffered for a bit, his
>doubts in his ability to stay untarnished by the Sister get
>him promoted.

If anything, Flynn's promotion is suggested to be the result of the Church's sexism (alluded by Sister Aloysius throughout the film) and the diocese's desire to protect their own and run the Church as just another old boy's network. Shanley's basically alluding to the pattern of behavior that the Catholic Church followed during the rampant abuse scandals over the years.

>I'm glad someone has a different take, since it stirs up
>discussion. But I'm curious as to how you got such a boldly
>different, like wildly off the mark I've found,
>interpretation.

There's a lot of people in this thread seeing something in this of this film that they want to see. You yourself you saw the film as partially an allegory for the post 9-11 mindset. I'm not saying that interpreatation necessarily wrong, but that's your own interpretation of it.

You've got people all over this thread who think that the film is saying what Sister Aloysius did was wrong because they personally believe it's and can't believe that someone would write a play or a screenplay condoning those things. Hell, I think what she did is wrong, and that's why I'm annoyed that Shanley let's her off the hook. By making her "dobuts" the exclamation point to the film/play, it again suggests that she's just like the rest of us, and is worthy of our sympathy and doesn't deserve our scorn, because darn it, she was just trying what she believed was right. She stepped away from God to pursue justice, but her doubts bring her right back to God.