Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Streep's character was scared of change, but the film wasn't.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=423462&mesg_id=423760
423760, RE: Streep's character was scared of change, but the film wasn't.
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Dec-28-08 05:10 PM

>He technically wasn't ousted though, he left on his own terms.

He left only after Streep mentioned her (allbeit fabricated) call to his old parish. And after he gave his "there's are things I can't tell you" speech, which served as a confession of something, though the screenplay never said what.

>Why fight if your alternative is to get a promotion and put a person >hell bent on falsely accusing you behind you.

It's also implied that he got the promotion due to the inherent sexism of the Diocese, and the bishop who were going to look out for their own and turn a blind-eye to even the appearance of wrong-doing.

>Obviously I don't know if any of that happened, but neither do
>you. Thats the point.

I know that's the point. I never said it I did know whether he did something to Miller or the other kid. That's left open-ended and I'm fine with it. I never paid it much mind of the film was over. But the implications is that Flynn did SOMETHING, and that justified Sister Aloysius stepping away from the church to stamp out wrong-doing and fearing change, because SOMETHING happened at sometime. And even she was wrong, it was okay because she had the same doubts that everyone else has, and that's what was really important.