Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectReally solid, if unspectacular flick (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=423462&mesg_id=423728
423728, Really solid, if unspectacular flick (SPOILERS)
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Dec-28-08 11:54 AM
Streep (aka The GOAT) and Phil Seymour brought the heat, as expected

What was unexpected, though, was Viola Davis murdering the movie in 12 minutes... some may say that the writing of that particular scene is fuckup-proof, but I dunno, I think if you put those words in another actor's mouth, the potential for disaster is greater... she nailed the tone and tenor of the scene perfectly...

I'm not sure if certain dramatic devices were kept intact from the stage play, such as the uses of thunder, etc, but I didn't think they were needed here in the film... but I still admired Shanley's decision to keep things as sparse as possible and not "open things up" for the screen... the words are the most powerful thing here, and I thought the simple look of the film only drove that point home...

Now, to the actual story. After the screening I attended, I took an elevator with 7 folks, and we literally rode the elevator up and down several times debating what happened...

And it's to Shanley's credit that he doesn't provide a definitive answer... which I'm sure will piss off many PTPers looking for a "satisfying conclusion," but that's their problem... I was sold on the way this particular story was told... good stuff...