Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Great question. Think I agree w/Original Juice, mostly.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3042554&mesg_id=3042602
3042602, RE: Great question. Think I agree w/Original Juice, mostly.
Posted by Original Juice, Fri Apr-21-23 11:43 PM
fsho

I listened to that whole season of WHHW as well (all of the seasons actually). Per Paul, De La was very involved and proactive in crate digging, finding samples, and conceptualizing the sound. If he was the primary producer of Stakes, beyond the skits/humor/lightheartedness, he'd be taking those same samples and ideas used by De La but flipping them in his own unique Prince Paul style. His production with them is notably whimsical, dusty, eclectic. He inspired them to experiment with their deliveries and styles.

Remember, this is when De La settled into their more monotonous, serious flow. Less playfulness and exploration with cadences. Stylistically, Stakes felt more in line with albums like The Score, Illadelph Halflife, Labcabin, Soul Food, or ATLiens whereas their first 3 albums were all on the vanguard and ahead of the times. As dope as Stakes was, it was very much of the times. I call it the post-Wu hangover of the mid-90's: less back and forths and more individual verses, more monotonous flows, punchier/harder sonics, more minimalistic usage of samples (less layering and sonic wall of sound a la the Bomb Squad).

Although Paul was only a little older, he was from the old school.. He came up under Stet. De La not only had the vision for their own sound, they now had the skills and means to present it as they hear it. It wasn't just a shift in the group dynamic. The whole landscape was shifting.