Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTo Pimp a Butterfly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3040905&mesg_id=3045847
3045847, To Pimp a Butterfly
Posted by Oak27, Mon Apr-22-24 12:47 PM
1. Wesley's Theory
2. King Kunta
3. Institutionalized
4. These Walls
5. Alright
6. Hood Politics
7. How Much A Dollar Cost
8. Complexion (A Zulu Love)
9. The Blacker The Berry
10. You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)

Listened to this one front to back a few times over the weekend. I initially wasn't all that into it when it dropped, I think I was expecting a continuation of good kid, m.A.A.d city and it just didn't click. I've come to appreciate the album more and more over the years. I still prefer gkmc but absolutely understand all of the critical praise for Butterfly.

With that said, this one is an easy to cut to 10. The two interludes are very rarely not skipped, though if I had to keep one it would be For Free. I don't like the decision to use the live version of i (I had flashbacks to Common putting the live version of The Food on Be). u just isn't an enjoyable listen. I liken most of his latest album, love the concept/song writing but for me personally the most important thing for music is to sound pleasurable to my ears. This one isn't. Momma and Mortal Man are the tougher cuts to make. I'd probably keep Mortal Man (but not sure what I'd cut in its place) if not for half of it being the 2Pac interview.