Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNas + Hitboy King's Disease III 11/11
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3040394
3040394, Nas + Hitboy King's Disease III 11/11
Posted by go mack, Tue Nov-08-22 12:29 PM
Im excited, liked all their projects so far with each one getting a little better to me. No tracklist or features leaked yet, a documentary announced, wonder if this will complete their work together or if the partnership will continue.

sidenote funny to me, Jay's old line 4 albums in 10 years I can divide and now this guy rolled out 4 albums in 2 years after about an 8 year absence. lol

https://twitter.com/Hit_Boy/status/1589654654073581568
3040401, I’m literally still finding new songs I like on KD1.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Nov-08-22 11:47 PM
I skimmed it a few times before but just really heard “10 Points” a few weeks ago.
3040453, All of these releases have benefitted from the long run
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Nov-12-22 12:15 PM
I've liked them all well enough at their drop but every one of them has opened up a lot over time.

We should put together a single volume "best of" from this run.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3040405, The format of Magic was so good. Hope KD3 follows.
Posted by cidolfas, Wed Nov-09-22 01:05 PM
3040412, Jay posts a picture of all his grammys
Posted by javi222, Thu Nov-10-22 07:46 AM
Lol, here we go again

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/jay-z-grammys-photo-1235168769/amp/
3040434, Dude, cmon. Nas explicitly clowns this type of thing on “Beef”
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Nov-11-22 07:58 PM
It’s been 21 years. Time to move on.
3040416, First listen
Posted by go mack, Fri Nov-11-22 01:11 AM
This is dope, rapping is crazy, need to play a few more times to properly rate it.
3040418, RE: Nas + Hitboy King's Disease III 11/11
Posted by cheesecake, Fri Nov-11-22 05:57 AM
Started off well but as it went on became too soft and adult contemporary imo. Same issue for me that plagued the first two. Magic still my favorite from these two by far
3040419, Pete Rock Stab on 30
Posted by doitall76, Fri Nov-11-22 09:10 AM
Shouted out Premier and then said "I wonder why Pete Rock would act like that, that type of behavior make give rap right back. And now I can tell if all the good that I did's being hid with their agenda again. I know that they all praying I go back to nothing. We all in the future let's get past the frontin'."

I know Pete Rock brought up the fact that he was still owed royalties from Illmatic. There was a line of logic that some took that Pete's issue was with the record label not paying him, and that he wasn't coming at Nas personally, but rather the business with the label. It seems that Nas did take it personally, so maybe the issue is directly with Nas and Pete.

Peace
Doitall76
3040421, oh great, another forgettable Nas LP...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri Nov-11-22 10:59 AM

3040425, RE: oh great, another forgettable Nas LP...
Posted by go mack, Fri Nov-11-22 11:43 AM
dude you are old and grumpy, let it go
3040426, RE: oh great, another forgettable Nas LP...
Posted by doitall76, Fri Nov-11-22 12:05 PM
Agreed.

Bruh, give it a listen, then give it an honest listen, and then give an opinion. Spewing pre-conceived judgements lowers credibility.

Peace
Doitall76
3040428, already heard it... thun is cool..rest is a snoozefest..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri Nov-11-22 01:05 PM
3040430, Thun is the one
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-11-22 04:55 PM
I like most of this though.

Beats are a steady 3/5, maybe 3.5 outta 5 to me. As usual with Hit Boy. A couple 4s.

Nas is rapping his ass off though, even switching flows. He’s noticeably better here than on KD1 - glad he got inspired to get back at it after 5-6 years of just a few verses. Now it’s 4 albums in 2 1/2 years, and he’s getting sharper on each one. Not a huge Hit Boy fan, but at least he’s way better than modern Kanye, and is getting Nas rapping again.
3040476, RE: oh great, another forgettable Nas LP...
Posted by spidey, Mon Nov-14-22 12:20 AM
Agreed...Of course Nas is spitting, but the beats are mainly weak...want some lyrical ish, over dope beats, throw on that Roc Marci/Alchemist joint...
3040486, Roc is the absolute most overrated rapper the internet has ever created
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Nov-14-22 07:00 PM
I can’t think of a more bland, less interesting MC.

It’s funny y’all “purest” complain about new trash MCs that all sound the same but literally praise an MC like Roc who has released the same album for over a decade.

Production on KD3 is MUCH better than what Alc gave Roc. Alc gave Roc his sleepy time bland shit.
3040487, Madness...
Posted by spidey, Mon Nov-14-22 07:57 PM
...first, it's not about Nas vs Roc, it's product vs product. Nas is the man, but beats AND rhymes, "The Elephant Man's Bones" shits on this "KDIII" joint. Roc is one of the very few talking that hard yet smooth ish, but in a creative way that's not tired, even better than those Buffalo cats. Check your ears bro, hit-boy nowhere near Alchemist as far as them beats...
3040488, Go ahead and post up a poll bruh
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Nov-14-22 08:28 PM
That’s if you have time between your daily TOTD posts that no one pays attention to.

To say Roc isn’t tired is factually incorrect. Every rhyme is exactly the same and the guy has NEVER once utilized a topic outside of tough guy pimp talk that no one believes.

And I didn’t bring up Roc… YOU did.

Every cat I know that loved Roc doesn’t even fuck with him any more because he’s TIRED. Same shit ever single album.

Please prove me otherwise.
3040490, White dude from Hartford...
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-15-22 01:22 AM
...but I get it. Lesson 1, Roc is in the vein of Mobb Deep type sound, yeah he doesn't switch it up much, but he has perfected that in the cut lane. Again though, you miss the point, it's not about Roc, it's about the project as a WHOLE. Next your gonna hit me with, but but but they won a Grammy! Stay white!
3040491, That’s really what you responded with?
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Nov-15-22 07:03 AM
Says a lot more about you than anything else.

I don’t give a fuck about a Grammy.

And why do you keep saying “it’s not about Roc, it’s about the project?”

I’ve already addressed that.

It IS about Roc… he’s the one who’s made another tired ass project. And guess what, I addressed the project too. It’s the SAME OLE SHIT!

I’m not sure what you are having a hard time comprehending.

But hey, you make the same tired ass posts and type the same exact phrases so I guess I should’ve be surprised you praise bland ass shit and give passes for a dude releasing the same exact album for 12 years.

Look at the proof in this post. You and MySP who hasn’t praised anything past 1996 are the only two in here talking that dumb shit. You don’t even realize what you type tells me you don’t even actually have an opinion on music and is only based if you think it makes you some type of lame purist.

Long live the art!
3040493, White people getting hurt...
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-15-22 12:11 PM
...I guess you haven't paid attention to those TOTD, so many newer releases, innovative sounds, and people pushing boundaries coming creative...take a step away from the norm that your boys Josh and Tony define as dope hip hop that you embrace, it's ok, it can take time. With them your down. People like the new Nas/Hit Boy, your opinion is noted. Stay calm...you can go sit down now. White angst is strong and real!
3040497, Keep replying
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Nov-15-22 02:03 PM
You sound like a cool guy.
3040498, learned a while ago not to interact with this weirdo
Posted by Stadiq, Tue Nov-15-22 02:37 PM

Ironically, if Nas's WHITE impersonator dropped this exact same album he'd be hyping it up as some "fly original creative type ish"

And LOL at dude randomly brining up a Roc Marc album in this thread...of all the albums he COULD have brought up to further whatever point he was making, he chose some boring/repetitive shit produced by...checks notes...a WHITE producer.

Of all the albums he could have brought up...dude stays telling on himself.

Find someone who loves you as unconditionally as Spidey loves white people in rap.

3040499, ...your making notes?
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-15-22 02:57 PM
...and there he is! Interacting with me! The embodiment of internet thug love! Stay's jocking me (like that old reference?). Please stop with the inboxes too...Peace brotha!??!!
3040508, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by doitall76, Wed Nov-16-22 03:29 PM
Anonymous "Says a lot more about you than anything else."

Spot on. The fact that Spidey went for the most hollow insult "White people getting hurt..." shows how little patience he has for intelligent dialogue. He immediately went in on assigning labels and trying to hook in his definition of what little value he has for others. Like a white guy frustrated and hurling racial slurs because he can't form a full thought. That crap is better suited for Twitter or Truth Social.

Peace
Doitall76
3040510, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by spidey, Wed Nov-16-22 05:24 PM
You might be right, but it's the way whiteys have conditioned me and mines...very defensive, and quick to react. It's just hard for a brotha to be gone at by a Hartford Connecticut white boy...therapy is going well though, it's just that hundreds of years of what we went through is hard to get over...Peace God?
3040518, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by doitall76, Thu Nov-17-22 08:15 AM
Here's to your therapy. Don't forget to do the work that they give you in between sessions. I hope we see progress.

We are putting you on our prayer list sandwiched between Sister Myrtle and Sister Wanda.

Peace
Doitall76
3040520, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by spidey, Thu Nov-17-22 11:25 AM
Thank you for recognizing our people's need, and new found willingness to recognize and seek guidance. Peace to the Gods and Earth's...Al Hum Du Allah brotha...may your blackness continue to shine light...
3040521, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Nov-17-22 02:30 PM
Can I ask you some honest questions?

What’s your issue with Hartford, CT? Have you ever been there? Do you know anything about it outside of your assumptions?

How did I come at you? By clowning you for your TOTD posts? That’s really the only thing I said to you as a joke. I then explained exactly my stance on Roc, who you brought into the convo. I’m actually one of the few have replied to your TOTD posts.

Do you know anything about me or my background or up-bringing for you to be coming at me like you did in this post? I said nothing about you personally and kept it to a simple barbershop joke about your posts. You jumped all the way off the deep end and made some wild implied assumptions. How is that helpful?

3040563, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by doitall76, Mon Nov-21-22 09:52 AM
Wow. You made a sincere email reply and looking for clarification in a non-attacking post, and there has been no reply. I genuinely respect the post and position from Anonymous with trying to bring the temperature down. I was looking to see two people go back to respectful engagement. No response to Anonymous' post???

Peace
Doitall76
3040581, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-22-22 06:58 PM
Answers...cause I should respond...

Been there twice, long story short, was attacked/assaulted at an EDO G show there in like 2006 by two white dudes...

As far as TOTD, it's my attempt to keep these boards fresh and influenced with new creative music, classics, multiple genres, and basically stuff that embodied what Okayplayer use to appreciate artistically...it's become a mostly losing battle, as this place is next to dead...(Drake won...lol)

Third point, I told y'all I'm working on it...the perception that I have, of white dudes trying to school me on this art is not easy to digest...
3040615, RE: White people getting hurt...
Posted by doitall76, Mon Nov-28-22 12:04 PM
I love the sincere conversation and eliminating the toxicity on this board, because I absolutely value the community and the insight of those here at Okayplayer. I am glad that you came back to genuinely respond. The board is better because of you and because of that.

I am absolutely appreciative of you continuing to do the TOTD's. I do occasionally respond to those. I help to keep the board alive.

Peace
Doitall76
3040489, Nas>>>>> Roc, and ALC>>>> Hit-Boy
Posted by DJR, Mon Nov-14-22 08:43 PM
I’ll take Nas over beats like Daddy Kane and Zig Zag Zig over anything on any KD album.

That said - I like both albums. Ultimately I imagine I’ll end up playing the Nas more because he’s a much better and more compelling MC. But there are certainly times where I’m in the mood and vibe for that Roc/ALC. Roc does what he does well, IMO.
3040494, RE: Nas>>>>> Roc, and ALC>>>> Hit-Boy
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-15-22 12:26 PM
I wouldn't disagree with that, just need both beats and lyrics to jive to really root into a project...balanced ish...
3040582, Impeccable timing...
Posted by spidey, Tue Nov-22-22 07:04 PM
though again it's project vs project we are comparing, not MC vs MC...

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/roc-marciano-reloaded-album.html

...to each their own...

3040423, First listen - I wanted to hit repeat on a lot of songs
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-11-22 11:08 AM
I like to let the whole thing play through the first time though.

But definitely wanted to play most of these again right away.

Legit, Thun, 30, Reminisce, Im on Fire, Once a Man, Twice a Child, and Get Light stood out to me the most the first time through.
3040424, No features ? 17 songs ? Nearly an hour ? Dayum.
Posted by Brew, Fri Nov-11-22 11:41 AM
Hopefully it's not a chore to get thru. Still not big on Hitboy's beats but have been happy with the fact that each of their prior albums have been quick hitters so I can really hone in on the good parts (read: the lyrics).
3040431, This might be the first one of these things to work for me
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri Nov-11-22 05:11 PM
Like the combination of moody beats and slightly faster tempos. And of course the lyrics are tight.
3040435, is the sample after the switch up
Posted by doubleP, Fri Nov-11-22 09:53 PM
on Michael & Quincy the same sample as Blaze a 50?
3040447, This shit is ridiculous
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Nov-12-22 11:21 AM
4/4

Anyone saying otherwise isn’t being honest

We should be out here applauding this man for rapping like that at 50 years old.

3040448, RE: This shit is ridiculous
Posted by go mack, Sat Nov-12-22 11:50 AM
Agreed, it's sad this doesn't have 100 posts. It's much better than Mr. Morale imo. This is just my old head opinion but might be my fav rap album since TPAB. I don't listen to everything however and like what I like.
3040450, RE: This shit is ridiculous
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Nov-12-22 12:09 PM
>Agreed, it's sad this doesn't have 100 posts.

I mean, nothing hits 100 posts at this point? Weird benchmark.

>It's much
>better than Mr. Morale imo.

A lot was better than Mr. Morale this year, especially from a pure listenability/enjoyability perspective. That's not setting the bar very high.

>This is just my old head opinion
>but might be my fav rap album since TPAB. I don't listen to
>everything however and like what I like.

No snark but if this is your favorite record in over seven years, I am wondering what you have actually listened to? And I'm saying this as someone who liked this a lot on first listen but almost certainly won't be slotting it in my top 5 of the year, maybe not even my top 10.

-thebigfunk

3040459, Please name these 10 albums bruh
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Nov-12-22 06:56 PM
3040463, sure, i'll play
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Nov-12-22 08:48 PM
Off the top but I'll change my mind tomorrow, here's a good list of my current top 10 candidates, mostly unranked but the absolute tops near the top.

Denzel Curry - Melt
Lupe - Drill Music
JID - forever story
Elzhi - Zhigeist
rome streetz - kiss the ring
black thought - cheat codes
CZARFACE - Czarmageddon!
open mike eagle - tape deck with the autoreverse
Benny - Tana Talk 4
Deca - Smoking gun

And just to keep it fun, here's another 8 that are also in the running on any given day:
the YOD EPs (YOD Wave/Yod Stewart/Yodney Dangerfield/Yodfather)
big pooh - to dream in color
quelle chris - deathfame
moor mother - jazz codes
billy woods - aethiopes
billy woods - church
elucid - I told bessie
Defcee/Boathouse - For All Debts Public and Private

and 2 that are definitely not top 10 for me but highly regarded by others of similar taste and will probably make a lot of *other* top 10 lists, bringing the total # in this post to 20:
joey - 2000
gibbs - $oul $old $eparately

Should we go for 30?

-thebigfunk

3040471, I can see both perspectives
Posted by DJR, Sun Nov-13-22 01:44 PM
I think this year is extremely deep with good albums, but kinda light at the very top in terms of great albums.

So this is an album I can see being slotted very high, or somewhere in the middle of all the good albums depending on how it connects with you.

As for me, I’m liking it more and more. Gotta keep listening to see where it ends up for me. Nas really makes it sound effortless to be this good, this deep into his career. It’s amazing.
3040472, Agree with this take
Posted by Oak27, Sun Nov-13-22 01:58 PM
>I think this year is extremely deep with good albums, but
>kinda light at the very top in terms of great albums.
>
3040478, RE: I can see both perspectives
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Nov-14-22 07:26 AM
>I think this year is extremely deep with good albums, but
>kinda light at the very top in terms of great albums.
>
>So this is an album I can see being slotted very high, or
>somewhere in the middle of all the good albums depending on
>how it connects with you.

I can get with this, except I'd say that it's deep with some *very good* albums, not just good -- which in some ways makes it even harder. My top 10 favorites for hip hop this year will pretty easily be very good to great records (imo) with a lot of solid candidates left on the floor. And of *those* records, I wouldn't begrudge anyone's slotting them in their own top 10.

I guess for me, even after a few listens, this record easily falls in that very good but not quite great camp. And I *am* thinking of it as a record: Nas is killing it here on almost every track, but there's some lackluster beats and hooks, plus one or two songs that mostly tank for me (WTF SMH might be the biggest miss).

Drop a few cuts from the tracklist, sculpt this a little bit more in terms of both sequencing and engineering, and I'd probably feel differently.

>As for me, I’m liking it more and more. Gotta keep
>listening to see where it ends up for me. Nas really makes it
>sound effortless to be this good, this deep into his career.
>It’s amazing.

I think his lyrical journey from KD I to here is really interesting. I put 1 on yesterday to revisit; it's definitely the weakest of the four so far, and while he's sounding good lyrically, his performance was nowhere near what has developed from II onward. I wonder if this might be what keeps some folks skeptical and unwilling to hear how good these recent records are: if they heard KD 1 and got that stuck in their ears, they may not be hearing II, Magic, and III for how fresh they are.

(At the same time, though, are there the one-liners that stick with you almost from the first listen?)

-thebigfunk

3040475, RE: sure, i'll play
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Nov-13-22 11:44 PM
I like many of the albums you mentioned.

Lupe
Denzel
Aesop
Black Star
Gibbs
Joey
Black Thought

There is a lot of great music that dropped.

But to me, Nas at his highest is just better than everyone else. And he is rapping at a very high level here that no one else is reaching. I’ll give you Lupe. Black Thought is my number 2 all time but he just simply doesn’t connect with the concepts the same way Nas does.

3040479, RE: sure, i'll play
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Nov-14-22 07:34 AM

>Black Star

Forgot about that record... need to spend more time with it.

>But to me, Nas at his highest is just better than everyone
>else. And he is rapping at a very high level here that no one
>else is reaching.

And that's cool, and I agree that Nas at his highest (as he is on a lot of this record and his recent run) is a beautiful thing, but I just don't agree that no one else takes it there.

In fact, I think the opposite is true, it's a crowded field with a lot of top-notch talent making really good records, which honestly makes me bring a more critical eye and ear to every record when I'm in appraisal mode. And that's what leads me to recognize that regardless of how hot Nas is right now, as a record III isn't flawless, and the others weren't, either. Doesn't mean they aren't wonderful, though.

-thebigfunk

3040449, lol
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Nov-12-22 12:04 PM
>4/4
>
>Anyone saying otherwise isn’t being honest

Read: anyone who disagrees with me is lying, lol.

It's definitely not a 4 for me. On the whole it's at least good, leaning toward and maybe reaching very good, definitely not great. A few too many moments of cringe. A few too many moments of boredom. And I'm not sure that any beat on here actually elevates where Nas is performing at his best (but to their credit, there's only a few instances where they really weigh him down, either -- I like the beat selection on this one for the most part).

Across these cuts, Nas is largely in good to great form, but he's also sometimes forgettable and, from an album perspective, redundant across its runtime. He's the hero here for sure and I'm not taking anything away from him on this record or the larger run --- but it's ok to acknowledge that it's not flawless.

But a 4, no way. I don't even think it's the best of this run of lps, not by a long shot. But I guess I'm not being honest, lol...

-thebigfunk

3040452, pretty sure 4/4 isn't his rating, but that Nas/HitBoy are 4 for 4
Posted by Oak27, Sat Nov-12-22 12:12 PM
3040454, Ah
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Nov-12-22 12:18 PM
I'd go with that -- sorry if I misread, Anonymous!

Not good at number rankings but I'd probably put this closer to a 3.

I'll have to revisit to rank the three records but I really liked 2 and Magic... it might be :

KD 2/Magic
KD 3
KD 1

-thebigfunk

3040451, My favorite of the KD series
Posted by Oak27, Sat Nov-12-22 12:11 PM
Of my first few listens through the only misses are "Get Light" and the bonus track.

I love all the beat switches. I wasn't keeping count but there's gotta be at least 4 or 5 tracks with beat switches, yeah?

Love all the different flows Nas' using.

Really the only thing that holds this back, and I've brought this up before but it's getting worse, is Nas' punching in and out becomes very distracting. I know he's getting old, but is his breathe control so bad that he can't even spit 4 straight bars? Maybe it's just me, it's just something that once I started noticing I can't NOT notice it, but I wish he (or the producer/engineer/mixer) did a better job of blending in the various vocal tracks he cuts for every verse to make it sound more cohesive.

If I'm making a 15 track album of Nas/HitBoy tracks between their 4 albums and the few loosies, this album is gonna have the most contributions.
3040460, I was NOT ready for this
Posted by JtothaI, Sat Nov-12-22 07:01 PM
like...at all.

Nas is spitting so hard. on EVERY track. Sounds like he's a hungry teenager again. Acknowledging everything we've ever said about (beats, wanting a primo album "might still happen".

Hit Boy smashed every single song. Beat changes, breaks, flips.

I wish I could have seen Nas' face when he heard these beats and Hit-Boys face when Nas came out the booth on ALL 17 tracks.
3040462, Thank you
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Nov-12-22 08:04 PM
Some of the people acting like this is some average shit are INSANE.

Who else is rapping on this level? I’ll give y’all Lupe.

Who else has something sounding this fresh production-wise yet still rooted in 90s lyricism?

Who else is spitting at this level 30 years into their career?

Who else is bringing this perspective to the game?

Come on y’all…

It’s so beyond absurd at this point to just gloss over his late career output.

Honestly, we praise dudes like 3000 when Nas just killed more verses in one album at 49 than 3000 has even spit in his entire career.

People really need to put this shit into perspective.

3040522, Black Thought....
Posted by maro, Thu Nov-17-22 06:57 PM
Is also spitting on a very high level....
3040524, RE: Black Thought....
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Nov-17-22 09:02 PM
Thought is number 2 on my list but honestly, he doesn’t approach topics the same way. I love Cheat Codes but it’s pretty much one lane.

But I do agree, he is spitting at a HIGH level.
3040545, Yeah, Nas’ rapping is amazing on here
Posted by DJR, Sat Nov-19-22 10:22 AM
17 song hour long album sounds like a chore to me in 2022….but this was not that at all. I’m not bored at any point.

Only songs I don’t care for are WTF SMH, and Till My Last Breath.

Thought Nas was “good” on KD 1 and 2, stepped it up a level on Magic, and now ANOTHER level on here….and it’s mind blowing to me.

I’m thinking this is up there with Life Is Good, as great albums.
3040549, I liked Life Is Good but
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Nov-19-22 03:43 PM
There were just too many issues with that album for me for it to be getting looked at as a classic.

I think this is clearly better.
3040556, Only issue for me was Summer on Smash
Posted by DJR, Sun Nov-20-22 12:38 PM
I liked everything else, and I bought the Deluxe CD on day 1, so that’s always been the “real” version to me with the 4 great “bonus” songs.
3040560, RE: Only issue for me was Summer on Smash
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Nov-20-22 07:33 PM
Life Is Good is similar to Doe Or Die 2 to me.

I do agree, I’ve had the album since day one with the bonus tracks… that should’ve easily replaced 4 songs on the album period.

That’s part of the problem.

I’m not a fan of the over-dramatic intro AT ALL.

And why is the first thing I hear “Justice League”? I don’t give a fuck about your over-produced production team. Type of arrogant shit is that is make your stamp be the first thing we hear on a fucking Nas album? Put that shit at the end of the track during the fade out.

Nasty should’ve opened the album. “Y’all ready for Nas? Y’all ready for Nasty Nas?” And then you fucking GO! Lol

A Queens Story… I love the lyrics but the beat is distracting. Not sure why producers haven’t yet learned that Nas needs to be the focal point and not your self-indulged over-produced bullshit.

Accident Murders? Still confused as to what the hell that is. Do they mean Accidental Murders? Are they murdering accidents? The fuck does that mean?

Reach Out… nah yo, Mary and Nas just don’t make dope shot apparently. Sure, it’s better than Braveheart Party but this shit is just off. Tired sample.

World’s An Addiction - this doesn’t work at all for me. At least kick the drums in on the hook. Don’t lead up to them just to never kick them in. Why? And again, it’s just over-produced. Truth is, outside of a few tracks, most notably Made You Look, Salaam is not a good producer for Nas.

Summer On Smash… I get it, everyone hates this. To me it’s actually not as much of a problem as some of the others because at least I can accept this for what it is, a club/commercial joint. And Nas is spitting on here! But yeah, it wasn’t even a single so why even make this? Lol

The rest I’m good with. Take off those 6 above and add the 4 bonus cuts as actual tracks as well as Trust and we have another absolute classic. And that’s the frustrating thing about Nas. With proper executive producing we could be looking at over 5 undeniable classics.
3040466, Top 5 Nas album & top 5 of 2022
Posted by IslaSoul, Sun Nov-13-22 09:11 AM

He basically gave what people been asking for the past 30 years, a full album of just him rapping & no features.

Even the highs of his career/discography post-illmatic/IWW don't touch this project (with the exception of the Lost Tapes, and maybe 'Life is Good')

"Beef" is an instant classic to me and very much one of the best i've heard this year.

I never could've imagined that he would rap & create at this level in this stage of a career.

He has nothing to prove and yet sounds soooo hungry on this.

I see and experience this as a gift, a loveletter to Hip Hop and find it very much amazing to have one of my favorite artists release this type of project after so many of my favs decided to go off the deep end.

3040467, Top 5 of 2022 imo
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Nov-13-22 12:17 PM
Gotta live with it a bit before I start talking top 5 of Nas discog though.
3040637, yep
Posted by amplifya7, Tue Nov-29-22 07:59 PM

>He has nothing to prove and yet sounds soooo hungry on this.
>
>I see and experience this as a gift, a loveletter to Hip Hop
>and find it very much amazing to have one of my favorite
>artists release this type of project after so many of my favs
>decided to go off the deep end.

its great.
3040473, Better than expected!
Posted by QBoogie, Sun Nov-13-22 06:10 PM
I really dug Magic and the KD series thus far. This didn't disappoint off of first listen!
3040477, I like it a lot. As some have said, it's the best of the KD series
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Nov-14-22 01:19 AM
I still like "Magic" better, but overall this is really good. And it's even more impressive that it's 17 songs, no skits, no features.

Don't know where this is landing in terms of the "Best of the Year" lists, but I'm happy Nas is on this run.
3040482, Great on a first listen
Posted by mista k5, Mon Nov-14-22 11:01 AM
I haven't gone back much to the previous ones. Not sure if it's just circumstance or something about them that doesn't draw me back in. Hopefully I give this more spins than those. It was really good.
3040485, Start to finish album
Posted by tzt2004, Mon Nov-14-22 06:37 PM
There aren't any standouts to me like the previous three. This one is the one you kind of listen to all the way through.

I can't believe I've purchased all four of his latest.
3040495, I've liked all of of these along with Magic
Posted by Ishwip, Tue Nov-15-22 12:31 PM
This is strong and maybe the best so far, definitely among best of 2022.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
3040504, AZ's Doe or Die II is better than all the Nas & Hitboy albums.
Posted by High Society, Tue Nov-15-22 09:10 PM
KDIII is the best of the KD series.
I think Magic the best of the Nas & HitBoy collabs.

I'm loving that Nas has found inspiration again.
And I dig the series but I'd like to hear Nas on some other production now while he's still in this zone.

Something with a lil more grit, the hit boy shii can be a lil too pristine for me. I'd love to hear Nas over some current Alchemist.
Shit - some more Swizz (remember Echo)?
Swizz is at point in his career where he's tailoring beats to artist he working with, not just giving them stock Swizz sound like mid 2000s.
Love to hear Nas over Swizz shit he gives Griselda.

I'd love to hear Nas and Big Ghost Ltd.

Anyways, go listen to AZ Doe or Die II again. No skips with a collab with Mr Mid himself, Dave East, that I actually enjoy - like A LOT.
3040505, Doe or Die 2 was dope, nothing wrong with that
Posted by DJR, Tue Nov-15-22 10:15 PM
My biggest gripe with that album was the Pete Rock beat sounded like it was mastered or
mixed so much differently? I don’t know the technical aspects of that but it sounds quiet and flat compared to the other songs, and it drives me nuts because that would be my favorite track if it sounded fuller.
3040506, For real!
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Nov-15-22 10:54 PM
>My biggest gripe with that album was the Pete Rock beat
>sounded like it was mastered or
>mixed so much differently? I don’t know the technical
>aspects of that but it sounds quiet and flat compared to the
>other songs, and it drives me nuts because that would be my
>favorite track if it sounded fuller.

That song is so much lower and less dynamic than the other joints and it drives me crazy.

But the real thing that bothers me about Doe Or Die 2 is that there is something irritating about almost every track.

For instance, the intro is too long and the Idris thing has been done before so why do it again? Plus I hate the way he says “finish your food” at the end. Lol

The second joint is cool but the hook and beat just seem unfinished. Like it’s still a rough draft.

The Wheel… why is Jaheim on here and why does he get that wack ass verse? Also, what is the connection with Kay Gee? I’ve never heard of AZ rocking over some Naughty production before and this was pitched as some dope collabo. Shit, why not get a Treach verse? That would at least make sense to me.

The next joint has some random dude on the hook and I have no idea who he is or why he’s here.

I’m cool with the Ross joint but somewhat comes off as some low-budget Ross shit *shrugs*

Different is cool but nothing stands out and when you take this long for a follow-up EVERYTHING needs to stand out.

Lil Wayne and Conway… I’m good with this, except it sounds like nothing else on the album lol

Blow That Shit is my favorite beat on here… but why is it ruined with a Dave East feature? That hook ain’t it.

Bulletproof… ok, but I definitely don’t like the way the girl is singing on here and when she goes into the “bullet bullet bulletprooof” part I just hit skip.

The PR joint we already discussed… best song ruined by fucked up mastering

Time To Answer and Found My Niche… see my comment for Different.

And then to top it ALL off, we get a T-Pain feature at the end???!! Yo… for why?

And I don’t even dislike any of these songs… but all these things keep me from loving it.

And when you talk about working on Doe Or Die 2 for over a decade and release crazy joints leading up to it… you do not have room for error and there are mad errors.

I would’ve preferred for him to package the beats joints on here with the old singles he released during the decade-plus lead up. He definitely would have enough for a 13-15 joint classic with those.

And lastly, to take this long and not get a Primo beat or a Nas feature or a Raekwon feature is just not ok man. It’s not. This is the Doe Or Die sequel. I don’t want to hear Ross, Wayne, Dave East… they have nothing to do with that shit.

Lol… and I’m the resident AZ stan on here smh
3040555, Ha, you make a lot of strong points here!
Posted by DJR, Sun Nov-20-22 12:37 PM
I can’t disagree.

Overall I was happy to hear AZ spitting like he always spit and thought the album was solid. But yeah, could’ve been a lot better.
3040651, Blow that S#!T... I LOVE that beat so much...
Posted by High Society, Wed Nov-30-22 05:51 PM
that not even Mr Mid Dave East could ruin the song for me.
3040509, Did you hear this Nas/Swizz song from a few years ago
Posted by go mack, Wed Nov-16-22 03:42 PM
Echo, gotta get thru Swizz first min but damn this was nice so I can see that.

https://youtu.be/7-PjqUxaCvc

Still enjoying KD3 tho, Thun, Michael &Quincy and 30, that run is my fav
3040512, I thought I mentioned it in the post.
Posted by High Society, Wed Nov-16-22 06:57 PM
3040513, RE: I thought I mentioned it in the post.
Posted by go mack, Wed Nov-16-22 08:06 PM
Whoops, you did, my bad.
3040514, That’s the only good song they’ve ever made lol
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Nov-16-22 08:50 PM
The rest are terrible.

Swizz would be my absolute LAST choice to work with Nas.

3040515, And it's not even a Swizz beat, credits say DJ Scratch lol
Posted by Oak27, Wed Nov-16-22 08:56 PM
It's just on a Swizz album and has him rambling at the beginning.
3040516, LMFAO
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Nov-16-22 11:59 PM
I knew he didn’t make that shit!
3040559, word? Did not know that.
Posted by High Society, Sun Nov-20-22 06:42 PM
3040523, getting tired of nas & hit-boy.
Posted by jose3030, Thu Nov-17-22 08:21 PM
I went back and re-listened to KD1, KD2, Magic, KD3 in succession.

cuz I thought I was 'hating' initially.
but naw.
i'm tired.

let's get that nas /// primo album.
3040531, RE: getting tired of nas & hit-boy.
Posted by doitall76, Fri Nov-18-22 02:46 PM
Let's get Pete Rock involved too.

Peace
Doitall76
3040536, You heard the line on this album though right?
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-18-22 05:20 PM
Doesn’t seem like Pete and Nas will be working together, lol.
3040533, Damn, they let you back on here?
Posted by stattic, Fri Nov-18-22 03:01 PM
3040552, 10 bucks it would be a snoozefest
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Nov-20-22 12:26 PM
3040554, Disagree
Posted by DJR, Sun Nov-20-22 12:29 PM
It would be a can’t miss “good” album at the least.

But the same heads who want it would downplay it because the entire album isn’t the same level as Nas Is Like, NY State of Mind, and Memory Lane.

And the ones who claim they don’t want it will downplay it as boring and “trapped in the 90s” no matter what.

Too many narratives. I blame Twitter.
3040568, Not true...for me at least
Posted by spidey, Mon Nov-21-22 12:30 PM
Nas at this point is a legacy artist, to rock over such soft beats is a step backward. It's not about Primo, Extra P, etc....It's more about the reality that Nas has a history of choosing weak beats. Their are MANY producers that would have laced him, as his strong lyrics/voice just are not matched with equally hitting beats. The drums suck, and outside of 2-3 songs on this newest one, stuff sounds like cutting room floor ish. Loved Nas's LP with Marley, beats/musicianship fit, yet was outside of his box...it was a legacy type project. This idea of him having to be over Primo is a fallacy. Shit give us 9th Wonder...example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcBKNlBX5CM&ab_channel=jensyao5

To each their own though...
3040571, Speaking of 9th, he and AZ were tweeting about doing an album together
Posted by DJR, Mon Nov-21-22 02:31 PM
Not sure if it progressed beyond that, but that could definitely work.
3040527, Dope album
Posted by Johnny, Fri Nov-18-22 10:48 AM
I like this one and Magic the best
I'm kinda surprised at the overall positive feedback it's receiving
3040534, If someone said a 50 yo rapper was dropping 4 albums in 2 years
Posted by stattic, Fri Nov-18-22 03:06 PM

I would not anticipate actually wanting to hear the 4th installment. However, I did here and this new one is dope. Set the bar for other aging rappers who still go it. I hope this inspires others to follow his lead.
3040535, It's really good, but at the same time I'm Hitboy'd out at this point
Posted by kwez, Fri Nov-18-22 03:41 PM
Which is wild because his beats are quite varied. There's just something missing and I can't put my finger on it.
3040537, No grit
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-18-22 07:32 PM
And going for that cleaner sound, they’re too thin and not rich and full enough.
3040562, That's the articulation I've been looking for !
Posted by Brew, Mon Nov-21-22 09:35 AM
>No grit
>And going for that cleaner sound, they’re too thin and not rich and full enough.

I've been trying to figure out how to describe what's "missing" about Hitboy's beats since the first KD and I think you nailed it with the above.
3040553, this is incredible..nas spitting viciously like a teenager and hit-boy
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Nov-20-22 12:26 PM
basically gave him his best beats in 10 years
3040577, I've had Recession Proof on repeat for 3 days
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Nov-22-22 12:41 AM
That bass line is disgustingly funky
3040579, i waited for decades for nas to do a full album with a producer
Posted by Brotha Sun, Tue Nov-22-22 03:49 PM
i am so disappointed he finally decided to do it with hit boy

and i love hit boy. his work with dom kennedy was amazing

but he's not fit for this

they almost found a groove with Magic

but this is just meh

nas brought it, but hit boy seems lost
3040607, I think this is my favorite of the Kings Disease projects..
Posted by tzt2004, Sat Nov-26-22 03:02 PM
3040625, I can’t stop playing “Legit”
Posted by DJR, Mon Nov-28-22 09:46 PM
I love that sample, lol.
3040638, Nas ft. 21 Savage
Posted by tzt2004, Tue Nov-29-22 09:23 PM
What a way to flip a situation. Love this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZefv4Vrwg
3040639, this goes!
Posted by tariqhu, Tue Nov-29-22 11:56 PM
3040640, Fuck 21 Savage.
Posted by Brew, Wed Nov-30-22 10:00 AM
He didn't deserve this.
3040643, RE: Fuck 21 Savage.
Posted by IsaIsaIsa, Wed Nov-30-22 11:30 AM
He honesty wasn't trying to diss Nas, that is NOT the energy 21 was trying to bring into the Holiday Season so this was needed.

http://art-------school.com/

https://ibb.co/k4m6n8C
3040644, How else can his comments possibly be construed ?
Posted by Brew, Wed Nov-30-22 11:47 AM
He was asked if Nas was the greatest, and responded with unrelated shots about his relevancy ?
3040647, I think it’s a dope move by Nas
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Nov-30-22 03:12 PM
Older heads are too quick to flame these youngins

Nas embraced him and took the show and prove route

“Let me show you why I’m relevant as ever, youngin”

I think that’s a dope example to set

Same with lil Nas X

People got in him for the name
God’s Son embraced him

IMO Nas is showing leadership within hip hop
He’s doing what a good father or uncle would do in an analogous situation

But that’s just my lil two cens
3040648, Oh 100% agreed. My point was basically that Nas is a better man than I am lol.
Posted by Brew, Wed Nov-30-22 03:17 PM
Savage didn't deserve this olive branch, this gift, this miracle of being on a song with the GOAT. Not only does he not deserve it due to his talent level, but especially because of the blatant, unsolicited disrespect he directed @ Nas in that interview.

Fuck him.

But yea - Nas did the right thing here as you said, and did the same w/Nas X, and hopefully this type of top to bottom respect will force these young idiots to finally start showing some respect the other way around.
3040653, y'all forgot late 90s early 2000s Nas?
Posted by Beamer6178, Wed Nov-30-22 08:24 PM
>Savage didn't deserve this olive branch, this gift, this
>miracle of being on a song with the GOAT. Not only does he not
>deserve it due to his talent level, but especially because of
>the blatant, unsolicited disrespect he directed @ Nas in that
>interview.
>
>Fuck him.
>
>But yea - Nas did the right thing here as you said, and did
>the same w/Nas X, and hopefully this type of top to bottom
>respect will force these young idiots to finally start showing
>some respect the other way around.

He dissed Jay, Nore, Roots, Cormega, like a gang of fucking people. HE WAS THERE. That's why he's able to calmly and deftly avoid getting sucked in. He lived long enough to mature and grow.
3040646, GOAT
Posted by cidolfas, Wed Nov-30-22 02:49 PM
3040654, Trash…another throw away Nas track.
Posted by allStah, Thu Dec-01-22 02:03 AM
One of the illest MCs of the 20th and early 21st century is putting
out straight garbage.

He is nothing to me now. He is just pimping his on legacy with all this
wack ass music he has been putting out….

3040658, Obviously forced/done to prove a point
Posted by DJR, Thu Dec-01-22 08:58 AM
and not something I’d ever listen to.

But it’s cool - big of Nas to handle the situation the way he did - and his flow still sounds amazing on this.

I think that’s the biggest thing of all this new Nas in the last few years - he’s sharpened up his flows to where he sounds almost as good as it was in his prime. It’s incredible.
3040662, RE: Nas ft. 21 Savage
Posted by spidey, Thu Dec-01-22 05:42 PM
...no words...just WOW...
3040708, Finally got around to hearing this.
Posted by Brew, Mon Dec-05-22 10:26 AM
It's good. Same thing as the rest of this run with Hitboy. Beats that aren't bad but aren't great. Unremarkable. But Nas is hitting lyrics and concepts at age 50 that no one has been able to do at any age. So if that's the goal with these unremarkable beats then they nailed it. I just wish Hitboy swung for the fences sometimes and made some standouts.