Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis take
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3039942&mesg_id=3040481
3040481, this take
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Nov-14-22 09:38 AM
>I will say this, and I'm thinking of explaining further in a
>later post,
>but I may be done on the instant vinyl buys with Sault.
>When there's a Cleo Sol follow up to Mother? Instant cop.
>The collective is now on a wait and see basis.

reminds me of when Madlib was still on Stones Throw and would release any and everything he would work on, including his non-hip hop related works. I think it was some British based instrumental sub genre where he took on the name DJ Rels is where I realized I don't have to like any and everything Madlib releases because chances are I won't be a fan of the non-hip hop stuff he decides to delve into.

To bring this back to Sault, I've listened to 4 of the 5 albums and outside of one or two tracks, I can't get with the Untitled (God) album (I'm not a fan of gospel or whatever genre that album is) and the AIIR album (I'm not a fan of orchestral music). Earth and Today & Tomorrow click with me a ton and I'm hoping I can find those for a decent price domestically. I'm hoping I will find the time to listen to the 11 album as that appears to be the most 'Sault' friendly album of the five.

I applaud Inflo for being so diverse and prolific with his output; the fact he's a fellow Jamaican is another reason I root for the him as well. I do wonder outside of Adele and Michael Kiwanuka if he'll work out other non-Sault and non-British artists. The man appears as if he can wear many hats musically. Perhaps he released all five albums to satiate folks that will want Sault music so he can work on non-Sault stuff for a grip of time.