Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectJay Z as an artist probably has caused that same reaction in many people
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3037988&mesg_id=3038004
3038004, Jay Z as an artist probably has caused that same reaction in many people
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed May-18-22 05:27 PM
Because his work is so varied, like he'll have a few club and commercial tracks on an album that blow up. While that may bring in new fans, it could turn off heads.

But then he'll have one song for the heads or something more introspective that would make Jay stand out as a true master of his craft that would attract those die-hard fans back into his orbit.

While there were some songs from Reasonable Doubt that I liked, Jay just came off as a cocky, commercial artist that my inner backpacker wouldn't accept.

But then The Black Album was announced and I saw the list of producers and was really interested to listen. It really connected with me and after that, I've been a big fan, even of Kingdom Come. LOL

It's interesting to think how some artists we fall for initially and those we don't but circle back to.