Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Most Men, is actually one of my favorite tracks of the year so far
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3036945&mesg_id=3036966
3036966, RE: Most Men, is actually one of my favorite tracks of the year so far
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Mar-02-22 08:45 AM
The intro to Most Men is one of my favorite things on the whole album and then it shifts into that slightly off-kilter beat and I'm still loving it. Super smart, super effective, and it *sounds* great.

But the intro's lyrics to me are actually really insightful and then, after the beat change, the lyrics just get more and more predictable, line by line.

Also, what's up with that wasted fadeout at the end? That change-up sounds right on -- should have kept that going!

But yeah, it's cool but it kind of irks me, lol.

I saw that about the suites, I need to spend some time with it from that perspective. I think your suggestion that it's too ambitious for its own good is a solid way of putting it. It sort of makes me think of Yebba's album from last year ... where if Yebba had cut about a third of the album, what have been undeniably classic. Instead, between the sequencing, some filler, and too many attempts to cover all the genre bases, it felt really unfocused. (Although that album has really grown on me over time.)

Listened to the Conexao EP from Amber Mark last night and really liked that, especially the title track. I think she might just need more time to figure out who she is/wants to be, artistically and stylistically.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~