Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBiggest Rapper not repp'ing a major city.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3036433&mesg_id=3036433
3036433, Biggest Rapper not repp'ing a major city.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-25-22 11:40 AM
I was going to make a post about how hard it is for DMV rappers (Cordae/Wale/IDK) to blow up majorly/distinguish themselves because they don't have a recognizable sound/accent/feel but it got me thinking about what rapper has been able to get the largest without really repp'ing a major city.

And I feel like there are two questions in there. One being name the biggest rapper who isn't from NYC/LA/ATL/Detroit/Miami/Houston/PHL/SF/Memphis (and maybe also Toronto).

But I guess I am asking the question is it possible for a rapper to blow up and NOT talk incessantly about their home city? Anyone do it?

I think about the Clipse (not from a major city) tried to rap about Virginia as a whole which I thought was strange to rep a whole state ( a song about bad news would be dope). J Cole raps about Fayetteville but, does it do anything for anyone?

Anyway, I think I am mudding up the original question. What do you think?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"