Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectColdplay hate
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3036174
3036174, Coldplay hate
Posted by fanks, Thu Jan-06-22 04:01 AM
Never had a sexual experience with a male but I enjoyed the Clocks album and the 2 that followed. Speed Of Sound in particular received much ipod play. Yes well done Coldplay, well done. However, can't comment on recent work as I've not heard it. Seems to me this band deserves more respect
3036200, Never thought a message board post could be CREEPY but ummm…
Posted by sersey, Thu Jan-06-22 05:28 PM
You get the award for this one.
3036451, He doth protest too much
Posted by ToeJam, Wed Jan-26-22 02:25 PM
3036452, seen them live a few years ago
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jan-26-22 05:19 PM
One of the greatest live shows I've seen.
3036453, People hated on them bc they were universally loved.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jan-26-22 06:40 PM
Just a weird thing they do now.

Not sure what your sexual history with men has to do with any of this tho.
3036454, They became the go to band for rappers to name check…
Posted by DJR, Wed Jan-26-22 08:17 PM
when pretending they listened to a wide variety of music. And then they all started getting the guy to sing their hooks. That was the wooorst.

I didn’t have a problem with the band itself though.
3036455, That was part of them being universally loved imo.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jan-26-22 08:36 PM
>when pretending they listened to a wide variety of music.

Idk if they were pretending. I'd never really seen that happen with any other soft rock band the way it did with Coldplay. Rappers are musicians as well, so I don't really have any reason to think they wouldn't genuinely appreciate what Coldplay brought to the table. Their music had wide appeal. They were just good at what they did imo. Prime example of being so good that people hate you for it. Beyond pure snobbery, there was likely an underlying racism in purists hating them because rappers (read: Black guys) liked them as well.

>And then they all started getting the guy to sing their hooks.
> That was the wooorst.

The only rappers I know to have featured him are Ye and Jay, both of whom I know have a genuine appreciation for different genres of music. I didn't mind them featuring him since I like his voice, I just didn't think he fit on the songs they put him on. In short, yeah it wasn't great lol.

>I didn’t have a problem with the band itself though.

I still check for their stuff honestly. Loved them.

3036466, I think they got it from both sides from insiders
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Jan-27-22 07:20 PM
They were wildly popular for making pop music, although at a really high level. And of course, people are gonna hate just because someone is popular.

But some disliked them because they basically rode Radiohead's coattails without being nearly as adventurous or innovative.

I personally like their first four albums - through Viva la Vida. Especially X&Y and A Rush of Blood to the Head. While, I kind of saw them as diet Radiohead, they have a pop sensibility that Radiohead either wasn't interested to hit or simply never could master.

As far as the backlash against rappers liking them, I think that formed because it seemed everyone hopped on the Coldplay at the same time. That rush made the fondness seem more of a cool band to namedrop than genuine appreciation.

But I know I get a whiplash moment when I saw a rock act like a hip-hop group or act that wasn't representative of the culture. So, that works both ways.