Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAnyone read Toure's Prince Book?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3035624
3035624, Anyone read Toure's Prince Book?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Nov-23-21 02:30 PM
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nothing-compares-2-u-tour/1138639444

I've been wanting to read a Prince Bio when this popped up. A few observations so far:

1. That work ethic Prince I always heard about. But had no idea. I've never heard of any artist who wrote, practice or performed as much as he did. It almost sounds like a psychosis.

2. I do wonder if Prince was on the Spectrum. His problems with interacting with people sounds like something was going on beyonf just being an introvert and then becoming famous.

3. Man a lot of people in this book are suggesting that had a lot to do, if not are responsible for writing, a lot of Prince songs. I'm inclined to believe. Will point to individual songs when I have more time.

4. Him losing that baby sounds like the saddest thing and the worst thing that could happen to a person with his sort of trouble connecting to people and his habit of reading everything as a sign of his relationship with God. I wonder how different he would have turned out differently if he had a child.

5. The end just sounds so much sadder than I thought. I always thought he died of a freak overdose accident but the way it reads in the book it just seems way more inevitable. There was really nothing to stop his descent into painkillers. His stubbornesss, pride and inability to give control up to other people which was so great for his music is ultimately what killed him. Go to doctors. Trust people. Good chance Prince would have been an anti-vaxxer.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3035627, I've only read Per Nilsen's "DMSR"
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Nov-23-21 05:50 PM
Amazing book that covers from the beginning to I think Lovesexy.
I've always wanted to read something that went past that.
The fact that Toure' had a book kinda made me like...eh.
So I'm waiting to hear from people I trust before moving forward.
3035628, I mean I haven't read anything else
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Nov-23-21 06:13 PM
And to be honest it doesn't cover a whole lot about his later years in depth.

I wouldn't say it's well written. It is an oral history...but a lot was new to me.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
3035928, RE: Anyone read Toure's Prince Book?
Posted by Strangeways, Thu Dec-16-21 05:16 PM
I'm selective about what Prince books to read because I don't want anyone putting something into my head about him that isn't there and the author wasn't present when it all happened.