Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHe's got a blindspot for so many people. It's actually jarring.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3034443&mesg_id=3034475
3034475, He's got a blindspot for so many people. It's actually jarring.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-07-21 03:23 PM
>Supposedly it was squashed, but Talib kept going hard online.
>Khule reached out, and Talib responded with a bunch of his
>typical gaslighting. Khule got pissed and called him gay.
>Now, Talib on that "oh he's a homophobe/misogynist/and a tool
>of white supremacy" tip. Anybody who is friends with him,
>supports him, or has another opinion on the situation is also
>a misogynistic homophobe for white supremacy.. Talib also
>threw in ADOS/xenophobia into the mix. Mind you, during this
>whole thing he claimed how Ice Cube gave him props (Cube
>has/had strong ties with the ADOS movement) and Snoop (widely
>known for misogynistic and homophobic lyrics) is his homie.
>He also picks and chooses who he accuses of homophobia. He
>had no problem appearing on Lord Jamar's Yanadamean (sp?)
>Podcast.

He loses a ton of credibility because of exactly this. He did the same thing with Michael Rappaport on his podcast. Rappaport was defending his "right" to call a black girl "ashy" in the midst of an online debate/argument which had taken place recently (at the time of the episode). Talib backed him, or at least "agreed to disagree" while at the same time defending Rappaport's "process" in continuing to make excuses for the indefensible.

Imagine if that was one of the Project Blowed guys right now, or any one of the faceless trolls he spends so much time blasting online. They'd never get that same deference.

And Talib's excuse with Rappaport was that he's on an "equal plane" intellectually with Kweli so they can agree to disagree but he's not gonna hound him like he would others. Which is not only wholly disingenuous but just a bald faced lie lol. Rappaport's a fucking idiot.

>I don't think anybody is defending Rifleman's use of
>homophobic verbiage, but at the same time, Talib is a troll at
>this point. 2Mex called him out and made a diss track. I
>think Rifleman did, too. Both were okay. I think one of the
>dudes from MOOD made one as well recently.

The fact that someone from Mood stepped in to diss him speaks to something I was gonna mention in another post about Talib recently - that maybe he was always this insufferable and we just didn't know as much about it because the internet wasn't then what it is now. But it seems like early-career Talib (i.e. when he was with Mood, BlackStar, and RE) and modern Talib are two *entirely* different people. Back then he was almost shy-sounding/seeming, well-read, well-spoken, an activist but not preachy, etc. Now he's insufferable, injects himself into literally everything of circumstance, can't seem to self-reflect or acknowledge his own blindspots while blasting literally everybody else for even the most minor indiscretion, etc. It's been hard to watch up close because he's such a huge part of my growth as a person and as a music fan more specifically. 2000 Seasons is my favorite song of all time, any genre. Train of Thought is my favorite album of all time, any genre. So watching him act like such a tool these past few years has been tough for me to comprehend haha.

>I still like some of Talib's interviews on his podcast because
>he interviews people I like.. in depth .

Yea he's actually really good on the podcast as well, for the most part. Gives the guest room to breathe and answer questions, tell their stories, etc. But also as I mentioned above has WTF moments like the Rappaport interview, as well as moments where he injects himself into stories that don't require him to lol.

Oh well.