Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTalib Kweli vs Project Blowed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3034443
3034443, Talib Kweli vs Project Blowed
Posted by javi222, Sun Sep-05-21 05:01 PM
Either Kweli has bad luck with constantly being in conflict or straight up loves arguing/fighting with other people…

Now with his latest drama, he dissed Myka 9 on the Son of Gotham track, which pretty much pissed off the entire LA underground scene.

Its pretty sad how this guy conducts himself… hopefully Myka 9 ignores him
3034444, Fuck Talib Kweli
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sun Sep-05-21 06:55 PM
3034448, LMAO. You gonna just leave out the awful homophobia part?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Sep-05-21 09:37 PM

It's time to end the Lesson

You guys don't even try to be decent and reasonable

You've gone the way of the rest of social media

Sad
3034449, care to elaborate?
Posted by Stadiq, Sun Sep-05-21 09:49 PM

I'm honestly asking... I have no idea why Kweli would diss Myka...I think they were even roommates for a spell.

3034451, I don’t know the whole story, but it started with Ellay Khule
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Sep-06-21 11:29 AM
Kweli and Khule got into it for reasons that I don’t know, so I can’t speculate who was initially “wrong” or “right.” Things escalated to the point where Khule made some homophobic comments about Kweli. And then it kept on going.

Myka had said he was staying out of it, because he was cool with both of them. Kweli got pissed that Myka didn’t “check” Khule for dissing him and started saying about Myka as well.

The whole thing died down for a while, until Kweli’s song came out, which also targeted Myka. Then things started to go even more ugly.

Honestly, I find the whole thing sad, at least on the Kweli/Myka end. Like you said, the two uses to be roommates, and Kweli had Myka on the Radio Silence album. Kweli in the past has said how much Myka was an influence to him and how Park Bench People made him reevaluate his whole approach to music.

I’ll also add that this whole situation is sorta similar to the beef five years ago between Kweli and Remedy (Remedy was clearly In the wrong in that one) and RA the Rugged Man got caught in the middle. That one kind of petered out.
3034472, RE: I don’t know the whole story, but it started with Ellay Khule
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Sep-07-21 02:36 PM
This is basically it in a nutshell; however, i'd like to add I believe it started at an event somewhere both Talib and The Rifleman Ellay Khule were at. Rifleman was passing out flyers and tried to holla at a young lady. Young lady wasn't too happy about his approach and a scene ensued. Talib, being the great guy he is, stepped in.. Apparently Talib and Khule were separated (I don't think it got physical).

Supposedly it was squashed, but Talib kept going hard online. Khule reached out, and Talib responded with a bunch of his typical gaslighting. Khule got pissed and called him gay. Now, Talib on that "oh he's a homophobe/misogynist/and a tool of white supremacy" tip. Anybody who is friends with him, supports him, or has another opinion on the situation is also a misogynistic homophobe for white supremacy.. Talib also threw in ADOS/xenophobia into the mix. Mind you, during this whole thing he claimed how Ice Cube gave him props (Cube has/had strong ties with the ADOS movement) and Snoop (widely known for misogynistic and homophobic lyrics) is his homie. He also picks and chooses who he accuses of homophobia. He had no problem appearing on Lord Jamar's Yanadamean (sp?) Podcast.

I don't think anybody is defending Rifleman's use of homophobic verbiage, but at the same time, Talib is a troll at this point. 2Mex called him out and made a diss track. I think Rifleman did, too. Both were okay. I think one of the dudes from MOOD made one as well recently. I also think Talib (or somebody who supports him) made a troll IG account of another one of the Blowed guys involved (Mister CR) in which Talib liked all of the posts which were basically one big gay joke, so even though he's this bigtime anti-homophobe, apparently it's okay to participate in homophobic humor if it's against homophobes who are against you. Similar to his whole crusade against misogynists even though his track record in dealing with the opposite sex has been less than stellar (allegedly) (i.e.; Res, Jaguar Wright, Maya Moody)

I still like some of Talib's interviews on his podcast because he interviews people I like.. in depth . I also still love Black Star, Train of Thought, Liberation, and many of his songs, but I feel as if I've probably given his online persona way more energy, time, and attention than it deserves. I need to work on that.

Not a big Rifleman fan, but I do respect his place in the history of west coast underground, specifically his place as a pioneer in "chopping" (double-time flows). Not really questioning whether he's a homophobe or not.

Myka 9 seems to be handling things well. He'll forever be a legend to me. Can't say Talib was totally wrong in questioning his friendship, but hey.. Myka 9 and Rifleman go way back.. part of the same collectives/family.. and Talib is known to be.. difficult. They're all grown men though, so hopefully they work it out or go their separate ways.

3034475, He's got a blindspot for so many people. It's actually jarring.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-07-21 03:23 PM
>Supposedly it was squashed, but Talib kept going hard online.
>Khule reached out, and Talib responded with a bunch of his
>typical gaslighting. Khule got pissed and called him gay.
>Now, Talib on that "oh he's a homophobe/misogynist/and a tool
>of white supremacy" tip. Anybody who is friends with him,
>supports him, or has another opinion on the situation is also
>a misogynistic homophobe for white supremacy.. Talib also
>threw in ADOS/xenophobia into the mix. Mind you, during this
>whole thing he claimed how Ice Cube gave him props (Cube
>has/had strong ties with the ADOS movement) and Snoop (widely
>known for misogynistic and homophobic lyrics) is his homie.
>He also picks and chooses who he accuses of homophobia. He
>had no problem appearing on Lord Jamar's Yanadamean (sp?)
>Podcast.

He loses a ton of credibility because of exactly this. He did the same thing with Michael Rappaport on his podcast. Rappaport was defending his "right" to call a black girl "ashy" in the midst of an online debate/argument which had taken place recently (at the time of the episode). Talib backed him, or at least "agreed to disagree" while at the same time defending Rappaport's "process" in continuing to make excuses for the indefensible.

Imagine if that was one of the Project Blowed guys right now, or any one of the faceless trolls he spends so much time blasting online. They'd never get that same deference.

And Talib's excuse with Rappaport was that he's on an "equal plane" intellectually with Kweli so they can agree to disagree but he's not gonna hound him like he would others. Which is not only wholly disingenuous but just a bald faced lie lol. Rappaport's a fucking idiot.

>I don't think anybody is defending Rifleman's use of
>homophobic verbiage, but at the same time, Talib is a troll at
>this point. 2Mex called him out and made a diss track. I
>think Rifleman did, too. Both were okay. I think one of the
>dudes from MOOD made one as well recently.

The fact that someone from Mood stepped in to diss him speaks to something I was gonna mention in another post about Talib recently - that maybe he was always this insufferable and we just didn't know as much about it because the internet wasn't then what it is now. But it seems like early-career Talib (i.e. when he was with Mood, BlackStar, and RE) and modern Talib are two *entirely* different people. Back then he was almost shy-sounding/seeming, well-read, well-spoken, an activist but not preachy, etc. Now he's insufferable, injects himself into literally everything of circumstance, can't seem to self-reflect or acknowledge his own blindspots while blasting literally everybody else for even the most minor indiscretion, etc. It's been hard to watch up close because he's such a huge part of my growth as a person and as a music fan more specifically. 2000 Seasons is my favorite song of all time, any genre. Train of Thought is my favorite album of all time, any genre. So watching him act like such a tool these past few years has been tough for me to comprehend haha.

>I still like some of Talib's interviews on his podcast because
>he interviews people I like.. in depth .

Yea he's actually really good on the podcast as well, for the most part. Gives the guest room to breathe and answer questions, tell their stories, etc. But also as I mentioned above has WTF moments like the Rappaport interview, as well as moments where he injects himself into stories that don't require him to lol.

Oh well.
3034829, RE: LMAO. You gonna just leave out the awful homophobia part?
Posted by The3rdOne, Fri Sep-24-21 09:32 AM
>
>It's time to end the Lesson
>

sounds like that god awful The Last Jedi trailer
3034462, He's often right, but he also loves love loves arguing.
Posted by Brew, Tue Sep-07-21 10:32 AM
>Either Kweli has bad luck with constantly being in conflict
>or straight up loves arguing/fighting with other people…

He even goes hard at people who are seemingly agreeing with him but sprinkle in some minor criticism about how he's Always Online.
3034484, Myka is a better rapper than Kweli will ever be
Posted by spirit, Tue Sep-07-21 07:55 PM
Take all that energy and battle live onstage. Put 100k up and pay per view that shit. I’d pay to watch Myka mop him.

I don’t think he could get past Ellay Khule either

https://youtu.be/w8wsVwOXdgw - 2 Mex dis was better than Khule’s but I want the live battle action.

https://youtu.be/NzSpIcyUtAk - More 2 Mex. The style orphan comment was funny. I interviewed Kweli a while back and he said him and Myka were roommates (as has been noted already in this thread). I started connecting the style dots from there, Kweli’s tendency to try cram so many syllables per bar Et cetera but Myka does it way better

This guy’s next show in LA is gonna need extra security.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
3034487, Kweli and Myka 9 have freestyled on stage, its on youtube
Posted by javi222, Tue Sep-07-21 08:30 PM
Thats the sad part , Kweli is probably the only mainstream artist that was constantly giving respects to Myka 9 and freestyle fellowship.. the rest of the known podcasters/radio host stick to discussing the usual suspects (jay z , biggie, pac etc)

I still like Kweli with his podcast and his music

3034492, Maybe he should have Myka rap on an album then
Posted by spirit, Wed Sep-08-21 10:10 AM
If I’m not mistaken, the one Myka feature he has is Myka singing

Found an old Rifleman dis. Better than the latest one. No Kweli retort tho. Not very hiphop of old Twitter fingers to not reply back then on wax for a full year

https://youtu.be/DBrcYsB2seI

Guess we’ll see if he goes round for round with everyone firing off shots at him

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
3034496, The Mood dis is pretty strong (link)
Posted by spirit, Wed Sep-08-21 11:02 AM
https://youtu.be/GYI6U7FW_co

True confession: I don’t know enough about Mood to know who is even on vocals in that song, but I remember Mood as a group playing a key role in the early career of Kweli and Hi Tek (maybe even providing their first appearances on wax as an emcee and producer, respectively?)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
3034984, That was Donte
Posted by The3rdOne, Mon Oct-04-21 09:03 AM
I first got hipped to MOOD when Dilla laced em with that Secrets Of The Sand remix. I'm sure you remember this:

https://youtu.be/Aec2SYEXT68
3034738, Guess Myka had enough and decided to respond
Posted by natenate101, Mon Sep-20-21 08:15 PM
Microphone Mike spittin crazily as usual. Legend.
https://youtu.be/XskT0DQfMqw
3034741, Who cares. He's a homophobe. n/m
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Sep-20-21 11:11 PM

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
3034787, MOOD > freestyle fellowship
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Sep-22-21 10:47 AM

3034790, That statement is ridiculous on so many levels
Posted by javi222, Wed Sep-22-21 12:03 PM
I don’t think even Talib Kweli would agree to that, do you know Kweli has cited multiple times Freestyle Fellowship as a big influence to him? That is like saying Little Brother > Outkast.

Either you are not familiar with FF or you are just trolling

ask the Wu Tang on how Capadonna, Killah Priest etc got embarrassed by Aceyalone, Abstract Rude and Myka 9 on the wake up show. They even made Common not sound that good

A lot of those project blowed members are mediocre, but when it comes to Freestyle Fellowship , Abstract Rude… those are some of talented MCs in hip hop

3034791, Don't even try it with this one..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Sep-22-21 01:25 PM
>>Either you are not familiar with FF or you are just trolling

I'm familiar, the crew is talented MCs but the music isn't all that.. Been through their catalogue many times ..

>ask the Wu Tang on how Capadonna, Killah Priest etc got
>embarrassed by Aceyalone, Abstract Rude and Myka 9 on the wake
>up show. They even made Common not sound that good

I don't use "wake up show freestyles" as my sole barometer of whats dope..

"ask the wu tang" LMAO

3034795, LB > Kast
Posted by DJR, Wed Sep-22-21 02:58 PM
*Shrug
3034799, Erroneous.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-22-21 03:40 PM
3034845, I'm quite certain I like a lot more LB songs than Outkast...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Sat Sep-25-21 01:30 AM
....but the best Outkast songs are better than anying LB has done by far
3034960, RE: I'm quite certain I like a lot more LB songs than Outkast...
Posted by DJR, Fri Oct-01-21 09:13 PM
>....but the best Outkast songs are better than anying LB has
>done by far

Yeah, kinda where I’m at.

But the deal breaker for me is LB is still here and gave us a GREAT album at age 40ish. Kast as a group been gone for 20 years. LB has more that I like and over a much longer time span. And still going....
3034966, This is some straight bullshit bruh
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Oct-02-21 01:43 PM
The first 4 Kast albums are about 10x better than anything Little Brother has ever done and is even capable of doing.

And so what if they’re still here?

They have released a total of 5 official albums.

Kast has 5 albums as well.

So what are we even discussing here?

They are not in the same league AT ALL
3034967, RE: This is some straight bullshit bruh
Posted by DJR, Sat Oct-02-21 02:20 PM
>The first 4 Kast albums are about 10x better than anything
>Little Brother has ever done and is even capable of doing.
>
>And so what if they’re still here?
>
>They have released a total of 5 official albums.
>
>Kast has 5 albums as well.
>
>So what are we even discussing here?
>
>They are not in the same league AT ALL

5 albums and also 4 mixtapes - all which I like/love.

9>>>4, even if 2 of those 4(ATLiens, Aquemini) are better than anything LB did. If we count Connected and solo albums that I like from them, and throw all the albums/mixtapes I like from the two groups into a bag and I’m going to pick something out to listen - it’s gonna be like 75% LB music in that bag. There’s just a lot more quality volume there, IMO. And yeah, it can be argued that Kast had the highest peak ever in hip hop. But I don’t just listen to the same albums from the same 5 year music period over and over and over. I need to mix it up and I need options.

And yeah, it matters to me if they’re still here. I’ve heard those old albums a million times. Giving me a new and fresh album in 2019 that I can play straight through over and over - and frankly that I relate to way more at this point in life than old Outkast(and old LB) matters to me.
3034792, LOL. C'mon son.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Sep-22-21 01:25 PM
I liked MOOD well enough, and they dropped a fine album in the mid '90s. But "Karma" wasn't nearly as good as either "Inner City Boundaries" or even "To Whom It May Concern."

Acey, Myka, Jupiter, and PeAce are GREAT and influential emcees who have influenced and created whole scenes. Even Kweli would tell you that.
3034793, RE: LOL. C'mon son.
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Sep-22-21 01:29 PM
>I liked MOOD well enough, and they dropped a fine album in
>the mid '90s. But "Karma" wasn't nearly as good as either
>"Inner City Boundaries" or even "To Whom It May Concern."

"Karma" shits on ANYTHING they've done.. I'm not even sure you're being serious though.

>Acey, Myka, Jupiter, and PeAce are GREAT and influential
>emcees who have influenced and created whole scenes. Even
>Kweli would tell you that.
>

Strong disagreement.. they're the most overrated crew i've seen people talk about here..

3034814, I spent the better part of college studying FF's lyrics and music
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Sep-23-21 12:33 PM
IMHO, they really are that good. Especially Myka and Acey.

>"Karma" shits on ANYTHING they've done.. I'm not even sure
>you're being serious though.

I liked "Karma" as a song and the "DOOM" album. A good amount even. FF's first two albums are just better.

>Strong disagreement.. they're the most overrated crew i've
>seen people talk about here..

We agree on stuff like 95% of the time, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

FWIW, Donte from Mood is also dissing Kweli over this whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYI6U7FW_co
3034815, RE: I spent the better part of college studying FF's lyrics and music
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Sep-23-21 12:50 PM
>IMHO, they really are that good. Especially Myka and Acey.
>
>>"Karma" shits on ANYTHING they've done.. I'm not even sure
>>you're being serious though.
>
>I liked "Karma" as a song and the "DOOM" album. A good amount
>even. FF's first two albums are just better.
>
>
>>Strong disagreement.. they're the most overrated crew i've
>>seen people talk about here..
>
>We agree on stuff like 95% of the time, we're just going to
>have to agree to disagree here.
>
>FWIW, Donte from Mood is also dissing Kweli over this whole
>thing:

its cool.. they're just not my thing.. I don't even like Kweli... Mood was ill tho..

3034794, Erroneous.
Posted by Brew, Wed Sep-22-21 01:56 PM
3034959, Thankfully choosing a side isn’t mandatory cuz a lot of
Posted by FunkyBoss, Fri Oct-01-21 09:08 PM
Corny output is coming out of this
3034965, yup
Posted by The3rdOne, Sat Oct-02-21 01:04 PM
and the fan base is fanning the corn flame
3034964, Myka 9 - Fair Weather Friend
Posted by javi222, Sat Oct-02-21 10:46 AM
This track is sick

https://youtu.be/sV7v6YqfK3E
3034979, For me, his rapping is way too slow
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sun Oct-03-21 07:20 PM
also, Myka shouldn't bar stuff like Kweli does. I do though like what he's saying, just wish he said it differently.