Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectPublic Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3034413
3034413, Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Sep-03-21 04:25 PM
I had this album when it dropped and remember rocking it but honestly at that young age, it quickly lost out to less conceptual albums of 94.

I recently found a fresh copy in a used bin copped it and thoroughly enjoyed it and have played it multiple times since.

What was the reception of this joint when it dropped?

When’s the last time you let it rock?

How do you feel about it now?
3034415, They were (are) one of my favorite groups, but its been YEARS...
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Sep-03-21 06:05 PM
...since I last listened to it.

>What was the reception of this joint when it dropped?

It was considered a disappointment. The general consensus was that they were behind the times and that lyrically and musically it didn't even come close to the material from their hey day.

Personally, I know I was disappointed at the time. I'd liked "Greatest Misses," but it seemed like they were flailing with this one. I mean, their production really was never the same when the Bomb Squad "broke up." The production team that did Apocalypse '91 held thing together, but I remember feeling like the beats on this were a mess. And on the mic, it really felt like Chuck D was complaining rather than being forward thinking.

And honestly, too much of seemed centered on them complaining about the hip-hop press. I'm aware that's a strange complaint, considering how much of "It Takes a Nation..." (my favorite album ever) is built around them being pissed at the Village Voice and other publications, but here they were complaining about bad reviews from publications that once championed them. And that came off like sour grapes.

>When’s the last time you let it rock?

I will concede that it's been at least 15 years (maybe more) since I listened to it, so it may sound better now.

I will say that the "He Got Game" soundtrack is still a very good album, and an underrated bounce back.
3034465, This album was a huge dud when it dropped...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Sep-07-21 10:58 AM
...i copped it due to it being PE & the cover art was so dope ...it actually went gold even with bad reviews and barely any radio/mixshow support (at least in nyc)

3034466, Yeah the cover art is dope!
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Sep-07-21 11:59 AM
When’s the last time you listened?

Do you think it’s better now?
3034506, I still remember the Source review
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Sep-08-21 07:47 PM
They knocked them for using live drums..
3034481, I got into PE pretty damned late
Posted by Adwhizz, Tue Sep-07-21 05:10 PM
like in the mid 00s

Bedlam13:13 & What kinda of Power We Got were the 2 songs that I remember standing out

I really think "What Kinda..." might be the best Flav song, Chuck playing Hype Man was such a cool role reversal
3034490, Close to 20 years
Posted by Mack, Wed Sep-08-21 07:06 AM
since I've listened to it probably. PE is my favorite group but I was definitely disappointed in this album. Would still rock So Whatcha Gonna Now and I Stand Accused today though so should probably give the album a listen now and see what I think.
3034491, It was their "beats Rhymes and Life" jsut earlier
Posted by handle, Wed Sep-08-21 09:11 AM
Give it up was good.

Living in a zoo is great (from CB4.)

It got played, but 94 had other albums that DOMINATED play time, it was up against these records and just wasn't of the time as much:

Tical
Ill communication
Illmatic
The Diary
The Main Ingredient
Hard to Earn
6 Feet Deep
Blowout Comb
Beatnuts

Is the hidden track on the streaming services?
Public Enemy - Ferocious Soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvnFmN8D4
3034505, RE: Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age
Posted by OKdamn, Wed Sep-08-21 07:45 PM
Instant cop the day it dropped. It was fire to me. It wasn't FOABP but it was very good. Bedlam..Stop In The Name..i need to revisit it

Seemed like people were still into PE but I think by that album it was mostly us diehards still coppin..