Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: New Release Friday 2021-07-23
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3033542&mesg_id=3033572
3033572, RE: New Release Friday 2021-07-23
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Jul-24-21 09:47 AM

>* Brittany Howard - Jaime Reimagined

Lots of remix albums out lately, probably bc of COVID -- easy way to get more out of an album that was released just before or during COVID without as much centralization.

Anyway, this was pretty good -- not every track was great, I'm not sure that any of them were revelations, but none of them got a total side-eye either and I'll go back to several. Didn't give it a super close listen but from what I remember I really liked Michael Kiwanuka's take on "13th Century Metal", and all the versions of Stay High and History Repeats (both favorites from the original). Want to go back and listen to "Georgia" again, another favorite from the original but I wasn't clued in during this version -- apparently it's got Emily King (!).

>* Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow -- she's been doing really
>interesting things in the London jazz-ish scene for a while
>now but this is her first official full-length, this might be
>my first listen today

I was curious whether this would fall more on the jazz end or the dance end of her work (not that they're separate) -- it really is a bit of a hybrid here but probably more toward the groove/dance end of things. On first listen, I really liked this but it will take some time for me to digest... not quite what I expected.

Can't find credits anywhere which is a bit frustrating... could have sworn I heard Cleo Sol on vocals on one of the early tracks.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~