Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Release Friday 2021-07-23
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3033542
3033542, New Release Friday 2021-07-23
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jul-23-21 09:04 AM
What's everyone looking for today? I don't know much that's out but folks will probably be interested in

* Brittany Howard - Jaime Reimagined - remixes of her Jaime from two years ago -- weirdly late to me but I'll take it. The producers and features list is pretty crazy too: Little Dragon, Georgia Anne Muldrow, 9th Wonder, Childish Gambino -- should be a fun listen at least.

* Leon Bridges - Gold-Diggers Sound - I'm hot and cold on him but I'll at least be giving this a spin.

* Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow -- she's been doing really interesting things in the London jazz-ish scene for a while now but this is her first official full-length, this might be my first listen today

What else is out there?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3033545, I JUST bought Jaime on vinyl last weekend.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Jul-23-21 10:06 AM
>* Brittany Howard - Jaime Reimagined - remixes of her Jaime
>from two years ago -- weirdly late to me but I'll take it. The
>producers and features list is pretty crazy too: Little
>Dragon, Georgia Anne Muldrow, 9th Wonder, Childish Gambino --
>should be a fun listen at least.

I've never heard it, but I can't go anywhere without people singing its praises.
3033547, it's a really great record
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jul-23-21 10:22 AM
It took a while for it to click and now every time I go back to it, I love it more. Nothing else really sounds like it, songwriting is great, and it feels infinitely bigger than its slim running time. At this point I rarely listen to it only once, it's an obligation to give it a second listen.

How's the vinyl? I need to grab that.

-thebigfunk

3033564, Fresh for the Week
Posted by JtothaI, Fri Jul-23-21 06:29 PM
New stuff I found on Spotify this morning...still have some more digging to go though.

These are singles unless followed bt or

Ledisi - Ledisi Sings Nina

Soulchef - Oh Baby

Mixmaster Mike - Megaton 10 (ft DJ Premier, A-Trak, Jazzy Jeff, MeloD, S-Styles, Q-Bert, Babu, Shortkut, Craze)

DJ Grumble & Ghubs - Leading the Pack
Found Grunble on Soundcloud and like almost every beat I hear from him. "Star Beats" and "Leaving LA" from this album goes.

Orgone - Moonshadows
Very vibey. Another solid ablum from Orgone.

Kevin Ross - Looking for Love

Shaila Prospere - You Don't Know (DJ Soulchild Remix)

Angill - My Word (ft Method Man, Chubhill, D Cure)
Really only here for the Meth verse.

Damu the Fudgemunk - God Speed ft Blu

Termanology & Amadeus 360 the Beat King - Dead Rappers

Blue lab Beats - Sensual Loving

Kiana Lede - Ur Best Friend ft Kehlani

Leon Bridges - Gold-Diggers Sound
Steam, Details, Don't Worry are my picks.

Gavin Turek - Madame Gold
Not up on her outta LA but this album is SOLID. "Illusions", "Elevator" & "Thank You" are my picks.

OHGEESY - Big Bad Wolf ft YG

Katori Walker - ride.

Samm Henshaw - Grow

3033572, RE: New Release Friday 2021-07-23
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Jul-24-21 09:47 AM

>* Brittany Howard - Jaime Reimagined

Lots of remix albums out lately, probably bc of COVID -- easy way to get more out of an album that was released just before or during COVID without as much centralization.

Anyway, this was pretty good -- not every track was great, I'm not sure that any of them were revelations, but none of them got a total side-eye either and I'll go back to several. Didn't give it a super close listen but from what I remember I really liked Michael Kiwanuka's take on "13th Century Metal", and all the versions of Stay High and History Repeats (both favorites from the original). Want to go back and listen to "Georgia" again, another favorite from the original but I wasn't clued in during this version -- apparently it's got Emily King (!).

>* Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow -- she's been doing really
>interesting things in the London jazz-ish scene for a while
>now but this is her first official full-length, this might be
>my first listen today

I was curious whether this would fall more on the jazz end or the dance end of her work (not that they're separate) -- it really is a bit of a hybrid here but probably more toward the groove/dance end of things. On first listen, I really liked this but it will take some time for me to digest... not quite what I expected.

Can't find credits anywhere which is a bit frustrating... could have sworn I heard Cleo Sol on vocals on one of the early tracks.

-thebigfunk

3033690, emma-jean thackray - yellow
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jul-30-21 02:51 PM
ckray - Yellow -- she's been doing really
>>interesting things in the London jazz-ish scene for a while
>>now but this is her first official full-length, this might
>be
>>my first listen today
>
>I was curious whether this would fall more on the jazz end or
>the dance end of her work (not that they're separate) -- it
>really is a bit of a hybrid here but probably more toward the
>groove/dance end of things. On first listen, I really liked
>this but it will take some time for me to digest... not quite
>what I expected.
>
>Can't find credits anywhere which is a bit frustrating...
>could have sworn I heard Cleo Sol on vocals on one of the
>early tracks.

Have given this a few more listens over the last week and really really dig it -- great debut. It actually gels really with SAULT, too. The drumming is exceptional, lots of ensemble vocals, and a lot of these songs make you want to get up and move but also reward closer listening. Really nice all around, this will stay in my rotation for a bit.

-thebigfunk

3033694, adds to wishlist
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Jul-30-21 03:45 PM
3033697, third eye
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jul-30-21 04:39 PM
Favorite track right now, I think:

https://youtu.be/j9dX5eIcpb8

-thebigfunk

3033603, A 7 minute DJ posse cut is my favorite song this week.
Posted by phemom, Mon Jul-26-21 02:16 PM
Mix Master Mike Feat. DJ Premier, A-Trak, DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Qbert, DJ Babu, D-Styles, Shortkut, Craze & Melo-D - Megaton 10

https://youtu.be/WLZ-AKCBYNE

...this shit made me get my X-Cutioners album back out. Really looking forward to Mike's album.

Wonder if Ad-Rock is gonna make any music at all? Can't blame him if he's retired tho.

3033688, Leon's album is legit
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Jul-30-21 12:15 PM
Not entirely sure I like it as much as his last album, but I need to sit with it a little more. Why Don't You Touch Me is a killer