Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti thought it was really funny on first listen
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032956&mesg_id=3033262
3033262, i thought it was really funny on first listen
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Jul-01-21 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, it'll lose something pretty quick, just like "You Know It Ain't" on the Rise album.

This might be the only real flaw for me with SAULT (and I realize this isn't an issue for others). The instrumentals underneath their spoken bits and interludes are often jamming; the spoken pieces are good on first listen but just don't hold up over time. I'd rather either have the instrumental OR work the spoken material in a way that is more integral to the piece itself.

(This isn't just SAULT for me, it's a lot of acts using found sound/spoken interludes on their records these days... when Meshell did it on Cookie, it felt super fresh. Now it just feels obligatory and I won't shed any tears when it passes as a trend. I've often wondered where this started, beyond coming out of a combo of hip hop skits and sampling, and I frequently reach back to Cookie. It's not that it can't be done well and hold up to repeat listens; Solange's "Seat..." is a good recent example of one that I don't tend to skip anything. But in most cases... I don't know.)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~