Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Nine so far is my least favorite...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032956&mesg_id=3033256
3033256, RE: Nine so far is my least favorite...
Posted by thebigfunk, Thu Jul-01-21 07:22 AM

>And I'm REAL hype about another Cleo Sol follow up.

Is there news on a follow-up or you just speculating? Don't get my feelings up like that, lol... I *just* gave in and dropped 50 for that vinyl after a year of adding to cart and removing, adding to cart and removing... did it while ordering the 9 vinyl.

Her solo is easily among my absolute top albums from the last 5 or 10 years. And although it's not a Sault project per se, it's probably my favorite of the group so far.

>Oh, and I need to go back and re-listen after reading
>thebigfunk's reply above.
>Like I read that I realized, "Have I been doing this wrong the
>whole time?"
>Is 5, 7 and 9 a series? A compilation?

I'm probably reading too much into things but here's my basic outline:

* the main difference between the two sets (if we call them that) is that the two Untitled records are much more obviously thematic, held together by interludes and the topical nature of most of the tracks. That's not surprising as they were presented that way in their drops, too, as sort of a response to the times. 'Nine' challenges that with its London theme and the handful of narrative interludes.

* there's another difference that is a bit harder to pinpoint... but I feel like 5/7/9 play more like groove-oriented mixtapes. They have an almost casual, fucking around in the studio vibe at times that I really really love. A lot of the tunes aren't full songs, almost more like beats extended to give folks room to explore them.

* The Untitled records, on the other hand, seem much more geared toward larger, more ambitious songs. It's not always that they are more structured but they feel like they are aiming toward something more concentrated? This might come in part from the thematic nature of the songs, too.

All of that said, I haven't vetted this at all so I could be completely off base. It's also very subjective in a way I find hard to describe: the numbered records just *feel* different to me.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~