Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwhen exactly did the saxophone fall out of favor in popular music?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032846
3032846, when exactly did the saxophone fall out of favor in popular music?
Posted by Options, Wed Jun-09-21 09:24 AM
been rocking to some 80s gems recently and being hit with the sax was like reuniting with an old friend. made me realize how long it's been since I've heard it on anything not classifed as Jazz.

what happened? it seems like saxophones went from pop staple to nonexistent quick fast. yeah, trends change, but I don't remember a gradual fade; *ish was abrupt. I'm basing this on the limited scope of my listening habits, but I feel it's more than just anecdotal. am I missing something?
3032848, I think the issue is that live instruments aren't used as much in pop
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jun-09-21 11:52 AM
music, and that's because these days most pop music is done by a producer sitting with a laptop and VSTs.

Horns (and ESPECIALLY saxophone) are pretty difficult to accurately duplicate with synths and VSTs, so unless a producer is sampling a record with a sax you're not going to see it as much. Cat's like Bruno and Justin Timberlake use them, but even if someone wants to bring in a sax player it takes a certain level of skill to record and mix properly, and you don't have nearly as many pop records being made in studios with professional engineers handling the work.
3032860, yeah
Posted by Options, Wed Jun-09-21 06:59 PM
>Horns (and ESPECIALLY saxophone) are pretty difficult to accurately duplicate with synths and VSTs

too true. for me, at least. I've pretty much written off the entire brass/horns folder in my DAW.

huh.
3032849, The MC replaced the instrumental solo in R&B music.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Jun-09-21 12:49 PM
I'll always remember Branford Marsalis' sax solo on Shanice's "I Love Your Smile".
In fact a lot of New Jack Swing stuff kept the band element of instrumental solos.

Shanice was 1991.
Mary J. Blige's debut was 1992.

It was a wrap after that.
3032858, haha, you're absolutely right
Posted by Options, Wed Jun-09-21 06:51 PM
I listened to Thriller a couple days ago and had to stop to really appreciate the solo on Beat It. on subsequent records, that space was occupied by Heavy D and Biggie (and... whoever the heck that was on Black or White).

great insights all around in these replies.
3032850, Music education disappered in the 80s
Posted by handle, Wed Jun-09-21 01:11 PM
That's where a lot of people learned brass.

Now people just buy a guitar or bass or keyboard and play at home.

3032852, I thought it was prety interesting that Masego's Tadow blew up like it did
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jun-09-21 01:53 PM
not saying that your statement isn't true, and i think that's why the Tadow situation is interesting.
3032853, first thing I thought of
Posted by Ray_Snill, Wed Jun-09-21 03:55 PM

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
3032859, dunno who this is
Posted by Options, Wed Jun-09-21 06:52 PM
time to investigate.
3032854, I remember Teena Marie commented on the change of a guitar solo
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jun-09-21 04:22 PM
instead of a sax solo put her on the pop charts with a wider audience when she did Lovergirl
3032866, I Miss The Sax Solos In Late 70's To 80's Rock/Pop Music
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Jun-10-21 12:39 AM
Other than a few ska bands, and groups E-Street Band & Dave Matthews Band, others don't have saxophonists in their groups or doing solos on songs, it kind of became passe as they say.

Once hard rock & heavy metal took off, it was no need for sax solos, now kats have two & three guitarists (one on lead, one on rhythm, & one on bass) even most synth/keyboardists aren't present in bands anymore.

I loved it when Pete Rock "kind of" brought back the sax sound on his echoing horns in his beats but even that got old to some when others started to copy that gimmick.

3032878, Kenny G
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Jun-10-21 11:40 AM
3032887, Sax hasn't been a mainstay of guitar-driven music since the early '60s
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jun-10-21 02:00 PM
think of all those 80s songs with the sax solos... none of them are really "guitar songs," you know?

At the same time that was happening, the guitar-driven styles (harder rock, hair metal, punk, college rock or 80s 'alternative') didn't have sax solos in large measure.

In RnB, the move away from live instrumentation certainly didn't help the sax's prioritization.

3032897, now that you mention it
Posted by Options, Thu Jun-10-21 05:32 PM
from a purely practical standpoint, the sax (or any brass, really) isn't the easiest instrument to learn. finding space to practice without annoying everyone around you is more of a challenge. and compared with the 'rock star' vibe the guitar has baked in, it's not hard to see the scales tipping in a particular direction. but I suppose this is slightly separate from the issue I brought up in the original post.
3032900, Kenny G
Posted by Original Juice, Fri Jun-11-21 12:58 AM
Nevermind..saw the other reply