Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI apologize for this: Peter Rosenberg - Real Late (album)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032784
3032784, I apologize for this: Peter Rosenberg - Real Late (album)
Posted by Mgmt, Fri Jun-04-21 03:17 PM
This is a banger from beginning-to end. It's up there with the great Mach Hommy so far this year.

It pained me to type that but the truth flows from me.
3032787, You might be right
Posted by Ishwip, Fri Jun-04-21 05:24 PM
I saw this dropped last night and skipped it because of his name lol, not realizing who was on it or what it sounded like.

Off first listen, nothing I wanted to skip. Kinda great.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
3032804, Somebody put me up on Rosenberg
Posted by bentagain, Sun Jun-06-21 06:45 AM
Interesting post and first reply

All I know of dude is he’s Ebro’s wingman on a Radio show

...I thought the industry opinion was he’s a culture vulture...

But here we have an album, that does BANG, and is filled with some big industry names

What talent does he have?
Did he produce some of these jawns?
Or is the game so goofy in 2021...it’s all good as long as the check clears?

I’d assume he doesn’t have that first person experience with the culture
Comes from a middle/upper class background
and gravitated to the art when it became the main influence on pop culture

i.e. you wasn’t in the gym with me

Conflicted by a person with no musical talent putting out a hip-hop album

Anyone want to change my mind?
3032806, Later for all that
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Jun-06-21 10:59 AM
No time to dissect and unpack and thinkpiece. Too many real villains/bigger fish to fry.

>Interesting post and first reply
>
>All I know of dude is he’s Ebro’s wingman on a Radio show
>
>
>...I thought the industry opinion was he’s a culture
>vulture...
>
>But here we have an album, that does BANG, and is filled with
>some big industry names
>
>What talent does he have?
>Did he produce some of these jawns?
>Or is the game so goofy in 2021...it’s all good as long as
>the check clears?
>
>I’d assume he doesn’t have that first person experience
>with the culture
>Comes from a middle/upper class background
>and gravitated to the art when it became the main influence on
>pop culture
>
>i.e. you wasn’t in the gym with me
>
>Conflicted by a person with no musical talent putting out a
>hip-hop album
>
>Anyone want to change my mind?
3032820, It’s just a compilation of NY rap rippers, don’t overthink it
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Jun-07-21 10:00 AM
Sigh
3032825, Fok alladat, it’s 2021, I need to know where my money goes
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jun-07-21 02:25 PM
So dude ain’t $hit?
Just a YT guy failing up?
You’re free to support
I’m asking a simple question
3032862, RE: Somebody put me up on Rosenberg
Posted by Original Juice, Wed Jun-09-21 07:12 PM
He did some interviews recently..

Basically, he pulled a DJ Khaled.

He collected the tracks, placed the verses and collaborations together with the right production, sequenced the songs, sequenced the album, etc.

He executive produced it.

He also comes from a DJ background and is a member of the Low Budget Crew along with Oddisee, Roddy Rod, Kev Brown, and company.
3032902, I would go with loose affiliate over member
Posted by spirit, Fri Jun-11-21 04:49 AM
Member makes it sound like he’s doing scratches on the hooks on their projects. If I remember, I think his brother managed someone in Low Budget and, later, when he got on NY radio, he reached back to put Oddisee on a few projects (although honestly Oddisee was doing quite well on his own). No one from MD on this one tho, as near as I can tell from skimmed a 2 Dope Boyz article on it, so I guess PR is another born again New Yorker.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com
3032815, Nah. Imma need elaboration. Or don't even mention it
Posted by stone_phalanges, Mon Jun-07-21 09:07 AM
What's the problem with Rosenberg? You can't just throw dirt on someone's name like that and slid with ZERO to back it up. That's slanderous behavior that I think is beneath this forum.
3032816, My issue with Chuck D
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-07-21 09:23 AM
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2888221&mesg_id=2888221&listing_type=search

Since the incident in the link there, Peter Rosenberg apologized to Chuck D and Chuck D accepted the apology, but it's beyond wild to me that Rosenberg would take it upon himself to throw shots at Chuck D in the first place when Chuck's initial gripe was with Hot 97, not Rosenberg himself.
3032821, He addressed it again on Drink Champs like last week
Posted by Frank Mackey, Mon Jun-07-21 10:17 AM
It's towards the end of the interview. Sounded like he pissed of the wrong people when he did that.
3032824, Also found a story about him taking issue with a Jay Elec lyric
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jun-07-21 02:23 PM
Synagogue of Satan
He made a statement about how that bar didn’t sit well with him as a Jew
But doesn’t seen the irony in supporting others that use disparaging lyrics and imagery to portray the black community...see Chuck D reference above
BTW, it’s a quote from the Bible

I thought dude was one of these guys buying back catalogues and suing artists over samples?

Don’t know why I associate him with that...but I honestly don’t know anything about dude outside of Ebro in the morning

Weird that folks are scurred to speak on it...but here we are.
3032903, I seem to remember Rosenberg saying something about Qaddafi
Posted by spirit, Fri Jun-11-21 04:54 AM
It came out of nowhere, if I can recall. Rosenberg should keep the sociopolitical hot takes to himself.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
3032904, That segment was not real at all
Posted by spirit, Fri Jun-11-21 05:01 AM
He didn’t address any of Chuck’s points. His counter argument is rappers can sell out football stadiums? Rappers have been going on arena tours since the 80s. So what? Saying Chuck doesn’t “own” hiphop is also an absurd strawman argument. Obviously Chuck never said he was.

Defend your radio station with a valid counter argument. The best point he had was “Chuck has never liked radio.” But even that isn’t necessarily true because Chuck’s starting point in hiphop was....with a radio show. Sigh.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
3032827, I must say as respectfully as possible...
Posted by stone_phalanges, Mon Jun-07-21 08:43 PM
Y'all niggas need to get a life. This is music bro listen to it enjoy it or don't. All this catching feeling's because this dude said whatever about whoever stuff? Just stop. Stop. Rosenberg didn't smack your mom. I personally think he's the only dude even near the mainstream that is really pushing music I care about at all. If you don't, cool but everything else? You can shut all the hell the way up with that.
3032828, ^^^^^^
Posted by DJR, Mon Jun-07-21 09:38 PM
I haven’t heard a good reason to dislike Rosenberg yet. The album is good. Going way back, he’s been cool with the Low Budget crew, Little Brother, now he gets an album like this put together. What’s the problem?
3032832, Man, The Juan Ep podcast was the first hip-hop
Posted by natenate101, Mon Jun-07-21 10:45 PM
pod I ever loved. It’s back now and honestly it’s great. They recently had The Cella Dwellaz and Nick Wiz on for a whole episode. And a Phife tribute ep with Redman, Phife’s widow and Rasta Root. I mean what kind of hip hop fans ain’t into that type of content. The guy oversteps sometimes but supports good music all the time with Real Late. He also shits on himself regularly for his “mistakes” within social media and elsewhere. He’s aware of his imperfections.

I don’t listen to the morning show at all, I’m strictly a fan of the Juan Ep podcast from back when it started and because of that I support him and Ciph because they’ve given me hours upon hours of good entertainment and laughs.
3032933, you should take your own advice
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sat Jun-12-21 07:59 PM
>Y'all niggas need to get a life.

and don't worry about what other people are worried about. nothing wrong with wanting to know who is putting out what you may be purchasing, in fact a lot of the problems in Hip Hop over the past 25 years would have been solved if we did more of that.
3032833, The Roc Marci joint is dope!!!
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Tue Jun-08-21 08:28 AM
....the rest i skimmed thru but sounds like what you would expect from an early 20's underground compilation LP ...did he produce any of this? I have no idea, but people will probably assume he did.

3032863, Nah, he’s said on the podcast who the producers are.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Jun-09-21 09:16 PM
Disco Vietnam, Buckwild, and some others.
3032882, I always wondered how this worked
Posted by Mafamaticks, Thu Jun-10-21 12:09 PM
Does Rosenberg/Khalid/whoever just fund these projects and puts their name on it?
3032918, RE: I always wondered how this worked
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Jun-11-21 01:24 PM
To paraphrase the most recent podcast, he’s been working with some guy who hosts underground rap freestyles in his vintage clothing store. The guy has been feeding PR songs and artists for the Real Late radio show. They decided to start setting those songs aside for this project to have the underground artists and some bigger artists that Peter is able to pull in like Jim Jones and Ghostface.

But generally, I think with Khaled, Clue, Flex, etc, it’s just like hiring artists to jigsaw puzzle them together on different songs. The small part about the business end I heard doesn’t sound favorable but I don’t know the ins and outs.
3032888, For anyone whose interested…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jun-10-21 02:26 PM
he was on Bomani Jones’ podcast, yesterday. I knew ZERO about him, before now. Pretty good listen.
3032928, Here's a link to his interview with Vulture
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jun-11-21 08:46 PM
https://www.vulture.com/2021/06/peter-rosenberg-interview-hot-97-rap-radio-real-late.html

He touches on some of the stuff that people are talking about in here, from "What did he do for the album?" to his other issues.