Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectmasego - studying abroad: extended stay
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032503&mesg_id=3032533
3032533, masego - studying abroad: extended stay
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun May-23-21 10:17 AM
I think this is just a re-release from last year with a remix but it's new to me. I heard a track randomly and thought I'd check it out and (knowing very little about him) was pleasantly surprised. I don't know if I've heard him before.

A very modern and radio-familiar r&b style yet the production has a lot of interesting flourishes that feel very unique to me. Dude plays a saxophone and is pretty decent but restrained; solid voice and comes with really interesting vocal layers unexpectedly (see "Polygamy"). The whole thing has a very smooth, almost quiet-storm-ish sound at times that seems out of place for contemporary radio yet the trap influence makes it feel like it could be on any mainstream pop/r&b playlist.

The opening track "Passport" is a good example of how it has a very distinct musical (and lyrical) perspective yet feels very familiar at the same time. It's been in my head all morning.

The Mystery Lady remix at the end is really good, I think I like it more than the original.

So yeah, putting this here mainly because I can't figure out what to make of it, lol ... but it made me interested in him as an artist for sure and is worth checking out. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't this.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~