Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Release Friday 2021-05-07
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032332
3032332, New Release Friday 2021-05-07
Posted by stone_phalanges, Fri May-07-21 08:16 AM
Didn't see this post yet but wanted to give a heads up about the Czarface+MF Doom that just dropped. 'super What's pretty dope.

What other releases dropped that I should be looking out for?
3032333, looking forward to checking this out for sure
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri May-07-21 09:08 AM
That drop is a great surprise. A few other things:

L'Orange and Namir Blade's new album, Imaginary Everything, is out today

James Brandon Lewis (saxophonist) has a new album out, Jessup Wagon, that had a nice write-up in the NYT describing the album as a tribute George Washington Carver.

In the more folk/singer-songwriter vein, Sarah Jarosz has a new one, "Blue Heron" -- the singles have been great

And Iron & Wine put out the fifth volume of his "archives" releases -- mostly straight acoustic/minimalist arrangements but I put it on on a whim this morning and it actually hit just right...

Looking forward to digging around a bit more but this is a good start.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3032334, Not out today but...Little Simz + Sault
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri May-07-21 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHGf6tmnLYE

Woman f/ Cleo Sol
Produced by Inflo

This joint goes.
I'm trying to find out if Sault produced the whole thing.
LOVE seeing them span out and collaborate with others.
3032339, Wiki and NAH dropped a project
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri May-07-21 01:00 PM
Not quite noise rap, but definitely a messier production style. Wiki is one of the best doing it, IMO. Like if Def Jux had survived ideally this is the sort of stuff they'd be putting out.

https://wiksetnyc.bandcamp.com/album/telephonebooth
3032340, Noveliss of Clear Soul Forces and Mega Ran dropped something today
Posted by The3rdOne, Fri May-07-21 01:20 PM
Maverick Hunters is pretty good.

Also Mega Ran dropped a joint with Young RJ of Slum last year. Didn't get on anyone's radar in here, but it was QUALITY.
3032360, I Went And Ordered The Vinyl
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat May-08-21 01:30 AM
Almost everything Noveliss does is dope, Megaran got an ear for beats, so it was a no brainer to purchase, the vinyl is part of one of those "right our goal to press up" type situations, but it was already at 60% so I think it will get pressed up, and I'll get my copy in a month or so.

I've been buying a lot on bandcamp lately so I'm behind on listening to a lot of stuff I've bought recently, so it will be a few days to maybe a few weeks before I unzip the mp3 files & listen to the album though.

3032341, L'Orange and Namir Blade dropped today.
Posted by mrhood75, Fri May-07-21 01:38 PM
Haven't listened yet, but L'Orange has been on a very good streak.
3032347, I like it
Posted by mista k5, Fri May-07-21 04:06 PM
I think it's going to grow on me with repeat listens. It was interesting at first but the longer I listened the more I started just getting into it.
3032349, L’Orange is the man. Love his style
Posted by Frank Mackey, Fri May-07-21 05:57 PM
3032353, Listened. I like it. But it's definitely different than L'Orange's others
Posted by mrhood75, Fri May-07-21 06:46 PM
And by different, I mean more "conventional." Which isn't a bad thing at all, just... different. So don't go into it expect the kind of "noirish" feel with the '50s movie samples. And Namir Blade is definitely a skilled MC.
3032350, Isaiah Rashad back
Posted by will_5198, Fri May-07-21 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzrQCsJzr70

album in June
3032359, Tony Allen, Vinnie Paz, & Nu 'Est
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri May-07-21 11:04 PM
Tony Allen (drummer/percussionist for Fela Kuti) has a new album out that I've been waiting to get called "There Is No End", already got my vinyl ordered.

Vinnie Paz got a new one titled "Burn Everything That Bears Your Name" with features like Billy Danze (of MOP), Chino XL, Eamon, & of course Ill Bill (of Nonphixion), I just hope the production is good enough to keep me interested all the way through cause it's got a lot of tracks and with underground rap albums today, the longer it is the more likely it will drag on.

Nu' Est (yeah another Kpop group), this is their 2nd album titled "Romanticize", don't know much about them, this is where OKP Steve-O-Tron's department, I've heard a few tracks that I liked (I like the upbeat stuff from Kpop artists, not so much the r&b slow stuff), but either way I'm checking for it to see if it's something I should cop.

3032361, Carlos Niño & Friends
Posted by funklectic, Sat May-08-21 03:25 AM
- More Energy Fields, Current

I feel like the body of work that Carlos has been a part of is truly immense and special. This is a great project and as always, something will tickle your spine
3032365, Czarface/MF DOOM Super What is dope AF
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sat May-08-21 09:16 PM
just pre-ordered.
3032368, Mara TK - Bad Meditation
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun May-09-21 10:08 AM
(of Electric Wire Hustle)

I didn't recognize the name before putting this on this morning... it's *really* good, eclectic future R&B-ish production, amazing vocals, arrangements range from minimalist to big and layered and lush.

Blew me away. Looking forward to giving another closer listen soon.

https://maratk.bandcamp.com/album/bad-meditation

Listen to "Te Kete Aronui" -- beautiful!

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3032372, Good call
Posted by mista k5, Mon May-10-21 01:23 PM
I liked most of it, loved the second half. Definitely need to give it more listens.