Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Jazz Is Dead series so far...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3032286
3032286, The Jazz Is Dead series so far...
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue May-04-21 08:34 AM
Any thoughts on the JID series so far?

https://downbeat.com/news/detail/gary-bartz-bridges-generations

I read this article about the Muhammad/Younge-produced Jazz is Dead series -- it's a good read, focusing more on the recent Gary Bartz record but touching on the series as a whole. There are now five dedicated albums plus the anthology with which the series launched:

Jazz is Dead 001 (Anthology)
Roy Ayers
Marcos Valle
Azymuth
Doug Carn
Gary Bartz

I'll come back in a bit and rank these after giving each another listen or check-in, but all of these have stayed in fairly relative rotation since their relase for me. That new Bartz release might be my favorite of the bunch though.

Anyhow, any thoughts about the series so far? What have been your favorite entries? Least favorite? Disappointments?

(Next up is Joao Donato.)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3032291, I've got all of them on vinyl...
Posted by KnowNaim_X, Tue May-04-21 05:03 PM
Pre-ordered the Donato about a month ago.The anthology seemed to pick more of the better tracks from each release of course. Matter of fact, it was one of my favorite releases.

My favorite so far is Gary Bartz or Doug Carn...depends on the day. I was somewhat surprised at how good the Gary Bartz release sounded. I'm biased because he's one of my favs.

I was disappointed in the Roy Ayers release. I was expecting a bit more of his sound. There are flashes of it but its drenched too much in that Younge sound (not taking anything away from him tho). I'm really interested in the Brian Jackson release coming up.
3032302, RE: I've got all of them on vinyl...
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed May-05-21 11:08 AM
Nice -- how's the vinyl quality? I might go back and try and pick these up if they're still available -- it would be nice to have as a set. I noticed they were running some sort of subscription thing through their website -- price didn't look too bad either.

>I was disappointed in the Roy Ayers release. I was expecting a
>bit more of his sound. There are flashes of it but its
>drenched too much in that Younge sound (not taking anything
>away from him tho). I'm really interested in the Brian Jackson
>release coming up.

I think this is my biggest issue with the series and I'm still not sure how I feel about it overall. They've definitely established a sound for the series - very much in Younge's general vein - and at times it does feel like it almost overshadows the style and feel of the lead.

But I'm actually going back this week and listening to each release and a few of each artist's older releases -- using it to dig into stuff I love and haven't listened to in a while as well as stuff that's more new to me. Maybe I'll feel differently listening to the records in the context of each artist's larger discography.

-thebigfunk

3032786, joao donato - JID007
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jun-04-21 03:35 PM
Out today. Listening now -- first impressions is this might edge into my top one or two releases in the series so far.

Have to say though -- only 27 minutes long! That's a bit of a bummer.

I'm not very familiar with him so it will be fun to check out his discography.

-thebigfunk

3032836, I am assuming this is not about the Dead smooth jazz tribute band
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Jun-08-21 11:43 AM
I got one of their records back around 2000 based on the strength of the players - Jimmy Herring, Billy Cobham - and thought it sucked.

but I don't know what you're talking about here.

hope all's good my man!
3032843, It’s the series of albums….
Posted by The Wordsmith, Tue Jun-08-21 11:58 PM
…..by Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. They’ve been teaming up with various jazz legends. You should check the series out.
3032845, damn, now i want to go look for that
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Jun-09-21 07:28 AM
Good to see you man. Haven't heard that record but there was an interesting solo piano jazz-ish take on the Dead last year, Holly Bowling's "Seeking All That's Still Unsung" -- I really liked that one. (Apparently she's exceptional live.)

Like Wordsmith said, the JID series is from Adrian Younge/Ali Shaheed and pairs them with mostly jazz musicians. It's been a fun series to watch unfold even if the results (imo) are a bit uneven.

-thebigfunk