Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I slept on this guy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030808&mesg_id=3031378
3031378, RE: I slept on this guy
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Mar-26-21 08:31 AM
>Never was really up on him. I heard him in passing son Statik
>and Terms albums, but when I put this on yesterday...sheesh.
>Going to deep dive on him now.

He's one of my favorites from the last few years, easy. He's can be a bit hard to like sometimes because he admittedly has a pretty defined lane that he rides in lyrically (both in content and style) and starts to sound the same from song to song after a while...

but when he's on it, he's really on it. My recommendation for his best work (from what I've heard) is FOTO, esp. the first half. Each song on that album had a feeling of a mini-story, the album as a whole very coherent around a loose theme of place and movement. I think that helped him focus his lyricism and it came through. Great production, too.

This record with Statik might actually come in for the second spot. Then the Lyrics to Go EPs.

He had a full-length last year that didn't really hit for me but I'll probably go back to it soon and reassess. His features on other folks shit have been hit or miss for me too. He's best when he's locked in on his own stuff.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~