Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: im slow sometimes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030236&mesg_id=3030453
3030453, RE: im slow sometimes
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Feb-22-21 09:29 AM

>but yeah i liked the ep. need to give it more spins.

This was a bit hit or miss for me but I would love to see more duet projects out there in r&b right now and this is a good start. It's also sort of an interesting take on a duets project as just about every song is about relationship conflict or a relationship falling apart.

I really appreciate that these feel like genuine duets, not just features, with a surprising amount of give and take. The layered vocals at the end of the opening track with Yebba, for instance. (What's up with that unnecessary spoken outro of that track though? Talk about dragging down an otherwise solid song...)

I like him most when he lets himself stretch out and actually sing a bit more -- not sure why he or his team insist on burying his voice either under autotune or a more muffled style.

But the production here is overall pretty varied and well-rounded and even delivers a few really nice surprises. "Dream" for instance starts out feeling like a pretty perfunctory beat with a pretty-enough melody but it takes a left turn with its bridge that made me go back and listen to the whole thing a few more times -- might be my favorite on the record... wish it was longer. Similar feeling about the ep's closing song with Joyce Wrice.

>
>checked out the jpeg ep too, wasnt really

I absolutely appreciate his style and weirdness but I find him a challenging listen. Like the avant hip hop equivalent of that "hyperpop" sound that's getting a lot of attention right now: it just feels really super dense and heavy. I feel like someday I'll be in the right mood for it but haven't hit it yet, lol.

>Khrysis On The Boards Vol. 2

Thanks for noting this, need to listen

>Rapper Big Pooh & Young RJ - What Was Lost, Vol. 1 (EP)

So, this was ok (need to listen more) BUT it made me go back and listen to that Pooh album with Apollo Brown, which I had totally missed when it dropped. All I can say is wow - what a great project. Pooh has been super prolific over the last four or five years, I need to catch up serious, but that's the best of what I've heard so far.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~