Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I didn’t tell you to leave, but appreciate the response even though....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030061&mesg_id=3030569
3030569, RE: I didn’t tell you to leave, but appreciate the response even though....
Posted by peterportela, Sun Feb-28-21 08:53 PM
Also, some of the functions of the sounds on Encore are in the tradition of transgressive art, more than in the formalism of hip hop beats. "Puke", for example, intersperses puking sounds from a female voice among the male narrator's vile vindictive petty barbs at his ex girlfriend. My interpretation is that this functions to put the listeners off from those sentiments, even though hatred at one point or another is just human nature, and who hasn't at one point or another hated their ex over something out of emotion and not rational thinking? But Em being Em, he exaggerates and heightens it thru shock and obscenity to make a point, and this also gives it an edge of ridiculousness that can make you chuckle, even if reluctantly. Another interpretation is that what the narrator is saying is actually making the ex puke. And it is also in line with Em toying with the idea of rap as a verbal construct (that it can be words not meant to be taken literally) and satirizing the seriously obscene female-exploitative rhymes of mainstream rap around that time. And there is interesting interplay between the beat and the synthesized violin crescendos... On the surface, it might seem like a forgettable track, but there are different levels of merit to those songs. It is all about perspective.