Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectway too simplistic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030045&mesg_id=3030358
3030358, way too simplistic
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Feb-17-21 07:58 AM
>aka crediting the rightful originator who put their heart and
>soul into creating the initial composition from scratch.

Why do folks have such a hard time injecting any sense of nuance into these conversations? There are issues that beg for care and thought and instead it's always a race to absolutes and manifestos.

"sample snitching" is a ridiculous phrase, particularly in the context of online chatter, but it does point to an uncomfortable fact: listeners (and producers!) exchanging discoveries on the internet can cause financial and legal trouble for producers later down the line.

And although we can talk all day about how sampling should/shouldn't work and who is owed what, the truth is that there are lots of reasons someone might not clear a sample.

(also, someone correct me if I'm wrong bc i'm not 100% here, but properly *clearing* a sample does always mean that it will be clearly attributed in credits (especially now that credits don't exist) -- so "crediting the rightful originator" is not exactly what clearance is about...)

Regardless, you came in wanting to know the source of a sample but then turned the act of asking the question into some sort of crusade for the original artist... and that's kind of shady, lol.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~