Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBoomBaptist/Elaquent/Juicy the Emissary - Komfort Food
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3030033&mesg_id=3030055
3030055, BoomBaptist/Elaquent/Juicy the Emissary - Komfort Food
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun Feb-07-21 08:09 AM
So glad I checked this project out mostly on a whim. Ten tracks, three producers, no emcees: BoomBaptist (3), Elaquent (4), Juicy the Emissary (3).

Totally did not recognize it was a sort of Dilla tribute project (until the first track ended, the second track started, and I realized both had flipped famous Dilla samples). Honestly, gave it one and half listens yesterday and thought it was really really good. Most of the Dilla references are easily recognizable but the flips themselves are mostly really clever and thoughtful. Tributes can be hit or miss but this project just feels like a labor of love.

But honestly, this is worth a listen for the title track produced by BoomBaptist alone. The Hancock/Players sample is part of the foundation but the whole piece is a journey with unexpected lots of change-ups and some impressive drum programming. I am unfamiliar with his stuff; going down the rabbit hole today.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~