Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWeezer-OK Human
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3029951
3029951, Weezer-OK Human
Posted by Adwhizz, Sun Jan-31-21 01:54 PM
I know it's kind of "expected" for me to gush over a new Weezer album, but THIS shit here legitimately knocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPdXYG1msg

This is a far departure from their "Classic" sound

Instead of hard, crunchy Rock guitars the instrumentation is orchestral and lush

Rivers isn't singing about pining over girls, instead the album's lyrics are focused on our current.

Their best album since White
3029976, RE: Weezer-OK Human
Posted by cheesecake, Tue Feb-02-21 04:32 AM
I personally don't get it. These are just empty middle of the road pop songs. This is still a an entire league away from their first two albums, which I know will they probably will never sound like again, but you just can't help but compare everything against that standard, oh well.
3029978, this is where I'm kind of torn as a Weezer fan...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Feb-02-21 10:48 AM
I know it's silly of me to go into this with comparisons to Blue Album, Pinkerton or even the White Album. So, do I listen, at all? I think I will...just not in any hurry.
3030072, ^^^
Posted by amplifya7, Sun Feb-07-21 07:11 PM
>I personally don't get it. These are just empty middle of
>the road pop songs. This is still a an entire league away
>from their first two albums, which I know will they probably
>will never sound like again, but you just can't help but
>compare everything against that standard, oh well.

my feelings exactly. Weezer was great for the balance between dorky/quirkiness and disaffected grunge, when you take away the 'disaffected grunge' and just have dorky/quirky pop-rock, its not something I want to listen to
3029977, Okay, human
Posted by seandammit, Tue Feb-02-21 10:47 AM
I was admittedly intrigued by the concept and slightly surprised by the single...but I think the homogeneous sound throughout exposes that there’s not a whole lot there under the novelty of the album’s conceit.

Also “best since White Album” lol. So...better than 2 really bad albums and a covers compilation?

(And for the record, no hate here...I’m one of the bigger Weezer fans you’ll encounter...just calling it how I see it here)