Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHow have your kids changed your tastes/opinions on music?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3029854
3029854, How have your kids changed your tastes/opinions on music?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jan-23-21 01:07 AM
I don't have kids, but I half want one to talk about pop culture. Some artists/albums age well. And others don't. But what is out of date to me may not be the same as a Gen Z'er.

So, to those of you with children, that you can talk about music with, how have their tastes or opinions on music shaped your own?
3029857, RE: How have your kids changed your tastes/opinions on music?
Posted by jimaveli, Sat Jan-23-21 02:55 PM
>I don't have kids, but I half want one to talk about pop
>culture. Some artists/albums age well. And others don't. But
>what is out of date to me may not be the same as a Gen Z'er.
>
>So, to those of you with children, that you can talk about
>music with, how have their tastes or opinions on music shaped
>your own?

I notice the cussing a lot more when she's around. My 12 year old doesn't notice shit unless it is a song she likes.

In general, the music kids around her like the most seems to be slanted towards snarkiness and/or sadness. Maybe she's to the too cool to be openly happy age. And it ain't like she's super woke and worried about American politics or shit at the capitol.

Also, if I listen to a playlist she made, I'm gonna like roughly 1 of 7 songs. The rest of it...I generally consider it horrible. And I'm not all that snobby/I can like some totally acceptable pop music.
3029859, RE: How have your kids changed your tastes/opinions on music?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jan-23-21 08:59 PM
>I notice the cussing a lot more when she's around. My 12 year
>old doesn't notice shit unless it is a song she likes.

That makes sense. My brother has a six and a three-year-old and rarely listens to his own hip-hop around them. Plus it seems more mainstream for radio hits to have cursing in them. We obviously grew up on Dre and Snoop and Wu-Tang, but they at least had curse-free radio singles.
>
>In general, the music kids around her like the most seems to
>be slanted towards snarkiness and/or sadness. Maybe she's to
>the too cool to be openly happy age. And it ain't like she's
>super woke and worried about American politics or shit at the
>capitol.
>

Yeah, kids don't appreciate how precious that time of innocence is. Life is pretty much on a downhill after grade school. (with obvious highlights like marriage and love sprinkled in there.)

>Also, if I listen to a playlist she made, I'm gonna like
>roughly 1 of 7 songs. The rest of it...I generally consider it
>horrible. And I'm not all that snobby/I can like some totally
>acceptable pop music.

LOL. That's funny.

My brother talks about the same thing - listening to the bad music his kids like. Parents sacrifice a lot for their kids.
3029862, my 19 y/o son has put me up on a few songs from the young cats
Posted by mikediggz, Sun Jan-24-21 12:11 AM
the past few years...im not really in tune with whos considered hot amoung the young artists...music moves so fast these days and i dont listen to the radio. when he was younger i played alot of prince, mike, george michael etc around him and now he has alot of that in his playlists...im happy about that.
3029863, Cool.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Jan-24-21 02:11 AM
3029867, no, but I'm definitely more cognizant of what I play
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jan-24-21 10:36 PM
I have a teenage daughter and I'm not going to listen to The Chronic in the car with her -- the vulgarity and misogyny are cringe-worthy. although if she wants to play WAP or something, it doesn't bug me because she's a teenager and that's what's popular.

in that regard I let her pick whatever she wants to listen to in the car (she is on the standard Ariana/Megan/Lil Baby/SZA hitlist). most of it is decently listenable even if I've out-aged it.

unlike my parents, who didn't understand rap at all and mostly railed against it, I can talk to her about some common ground and never judge the content. she was playing Shots Fired by Megan Thee Stallion the other day (most new music I hear from her) and I asked if she knew what beat that was. and she really had no idea about Tupac and Biggie. which made me feel even older.
3029935, Wait...you rock WAP in the car with your 12 year old daughter?
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Jan-29-21 08:20 PM
3029943, If it comes up on her playlist I dont turn it into
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-30-21 07:39 PM
some big ass lecture. because I listened to worse shit growing up, but it didnt mean I was doing it.

and she is 17, but thanks for the concern.
3029946, *shrug*
Posted by Anonymous, Sat Jan-30-21 10:01 PM
I think there’s a difference between knowing and not caring if she is listens to it and listening to it with her while she’s singing along.

One seems slightly strange to me.

Lol

Like if you’re my boy and before we head to the game we have to drop her off somewhere and during the ride WAP comes on and I hear her in the back like “put this pussy right in your face” and you just chillin’ rocking along...I’m telling you to let my ass out.

Lol
3029947, shrug back.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-30-21 10:07 PM
>I think there’s a difference between knowing and not caring
>if she is listens to it and listening to it with her while
>she’s singing along.

I never said she sings along. just like I never said she was in 6th grade. those are your projections, I guess.
3029924, I started listening to more pop music when she was younger.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-29-21 01:47 PM
she's 16 now and it's hard to pin down her favs. she'll have a song or two that she'll vibe with from tik-tok,but may not even have heard the whole song. only thing I know for sure is that she doesn't like hip hop.

there's still hope with my 11yr old. he seems to like what I play and doesn't really dig radio rap. so we'll ride out to Krit, Wu, Kast type tunes.
3029926, RE: How have your kids changed your tastes/opinions on music?
Posted by Original Juice, Fri Jan-29-21 01:55 PM
>I don't have kids, but I half want one to talk about pop
>culture. Some artists/albums age well. And others don't. But
>what is out of date to me may not be the same as a Gen Z'er.
>
>So, to those of you with children, that you can talk about
>music with, how have their tastes or opinions on music shaped
>your own?

My 12 year old (step)son has gotten me to consider video game music as actual music. He also makes me think twice about listening to music with a lot of cussing and or bragging about money (pet peeves of his), but for the most part, I still listen to that shit.

My 2.5 year old has obviously got me seriously enjoying more children's music, dance pop, KidzBop, The Wiggles, etc..