Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDamn good call. And thanks for reminding me ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3029844&mesg_id=3029884
3029884, Damn good call. And thanks for reminding me ...
Posted by Brew, Mon Jan-25-21 10:36 PM
.. how amazing a song "Reminding Me (Of Sef)" is. I haven't listened to One Day front to back in so long cuz it's my favorite Common album and I wore that shit out over the years. Looks like I'm gonna need to revisit. That song gives me chills to this day.

Listening to "Real N*gga Quotes" now and damn this shit is so Chicago lol. I love this album so much.

Anyway, tangent aside you're onto something here. I'm not as familiar with Breeze but I think I hear the influence you speak of. Obviously I picked up on Blu's Common inspiration right away like I'm sure most of us did.

And yea - "In Remembrance of Me" very clearly took some inspiration from "Reminding Me (Of Sef)". Extremely similar vibes, and even the titles are similar lol. In fact I always thought it was stylized "In Remembrance (Of Me)" so even subconsciously I picked up on the influence haha.

All that aside - I agree with you, it seems pretty clear that Blu is paying homage to both artists and not copying at all.