Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Pharoahe Monch project, Th1rt3en @ Tiny Desk
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3029790
3029790, New Pharoahe Monch project, Th1rt3en @ Tiny Desk
Posted by Castro, Mon Jan-18-21 09:55 PM
As usual, he's spitting pure flames....Marcus Machado shredding and Daru Jones on the kit.....Love this project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaAOpVvbVY
3029791, RE: New Pharoahe Monch project, Th1rt3en @ Tiny Desk
Posted by spidey, Tue Jan-19-21 12:45 AM
Top 5 all time...stays rippin it...
3029794, Geez
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Jan-19-21 12:44 PM
I was ready to dismiss it as Monch trying to get his Gnarls Barkley on (I hate it when rappers try to get their Gnarls Barkely on *cough* body baby). But he sounds locked in lyrically.

Also, getting strong Equinox era vibes from his outfit.
3029801, good but needs a bass player - probably would be good to have a
Posted by c71, Tue Jan-19-21 06:40 PM
keyboard player too.
3029834, i guess this can be the album thread too?
Posted by mista k5, Fri Jan-22-21 11:29 AM
just finished my first listen and its pretty great. i dont know if the quality of the songs picked up halfway or i just adjusted to what they were doing. loved the second half. the first half was a mix of good/great. overall i like the range, its not just loud and aggressive.

definitely plan to give it some more spins.

content wise it seems it would have been more fitting to have released before this week but that doesnt really take away from the enjoyment.

3029860, RE: i guess this can be the album thread too?
Posted by Edweasel, Sat Jan-23-21 09:56 PM
My fear was it would be all screaming and thrashing, but it's all balanced much better than I thought. Album is dope.
3029886, holy shit this is excellent
Posted by Stadiq, Mon Jan-25-21 10:44 PM

I was very skeptical because rap/rock mash ups are just not for me outside of a handful of songs in the universe.

I also didn't love Fight when I heard it. (I enjoyed it much more in the flow of the album)

But this album is fantastic. A few tracks just aren't for me, like The Magician and a couple others.

But this is great. And Monch is spitting.

Now that Thought has *rightfully* been getting more praise/etc...Monch has taken the crown as most underrated rapper to me. Well, him or Blu.
3029889, on my second
Posted by mista k5, Tue Jan-26-21 11:14 AM
or 3rd ish listen (ive heard individual songs multiple times) im getting music to be murdered by vibes by eminem but without the bad hooks and overall cornyness lol.

i never would had thought to compare them two but they actually have some similarities.

still enjoying the album, not that theres much out yet but probably my favorite project of the year so far.