Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOfficial Pete Rock & The Soul Brothers-Petestrumentals 3 Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028980
3028980, Official Pete Rock & The Soul Brothers-Petestrumentals 3 Post
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sat Dec-12-20 07:39 PM
Definitely the shortest Petestrumentals release, but a dope way to extend the series. Honestly this puts Pete Rock in even more rare air than before, if that's possible.

Some really amazing reworks of some of Pete's work here ("Live With Me" is basically a live version of Blu's "The Clean Hand") and it still feels like Pete Rock, in a Duke Ellington way like he's playing the band itself.
3029003, it's exceptional
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Dec-14-20 11:19 AM
these performances are really really rich - well-arranged, thoughtfully developed over the full song. I would love to hear Pete do more of this!

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
3029067, seeing 30 year vets turn in all-time material is great for the culture
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Dec-16-20 07:10 PM
when you think about this, the Gang Starr and Tribe albums it's quite the thing to behold and be around for
3029046, Again - calling this “Petestrumentals 3” is so basic and misleading.
Posted by third_i_vision, Tue Dec-15-20 07:28 PM
This is career-revival stuff from Pete. It deserves a better rollout for so many reasons.

Actually, on second thought, Pete Rock has outed himself as a complete moron over the last 10 years, so calling it something as generic as “Petestrumetals 3” is hella on brand.

Shout out to Daru Jones though.
3029065, pretty poor take but have at thee
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Dec-16-20 07:07 PM
3029051, Pete is the GOAT
Posted by DJR, Tue Dec-15-20 08:32 PM
His career “revival” the last few years is something else.
3029066, he and Primo have both done interesting things with live bands
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Dec-16-20 07:09 PM
in the past few years, it's interesting to see DJs conceptualized as the heart of a band
3029097, I like it
Posted by Ishwip, Thu Dec-17-20 04:36 PM
Not sure I'd say I like it as much as his best sample-based music but this is still dope and a nice addition to his arsenal.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
3029098, I like that it's based on his old beats
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Dec-17-20 07:12 PM
he just took them and had them replayed with a band. I think it's long overdue for that treatment but I get you missing the vintage PR sound though