Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe answer is "Ain't No Fun," but I'm partial to "Let's Play House," too.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028864&mesg_id=3028866
3028866, The answer is "Ain't No Fun," but I'm partial to "Let's Play House," too.
Posted by Brew, Wed Dec-09-20 11:12 AM
That joint *fucks*.

Someone on Twitter recently pointed out that Daz had like 6 different hooks going on simultaneously during the chorus yet somehow it didn't sound too crowded.

And in general, that was my favorite part of the Death Row era's brand of g-funk: the music (and sound effects/voice samples, etc.) was suuuuuper busy and layered, with tons of different sounds happening at once, but it never sounded *too* overcrowded at all. It was perfectly intricate.

Which was also what disappointed me (at first) when the Chronic 2001-era sound started to leak. Ultimately I came to love it but at first I was turned off by that sparse, simplistic production style. Because the reason I listened to Dre and had gotten into him in the first place was because his beats were *so* busy and so funky. At first I felt like the 2001 stuff was lacking and had too much empty space.