Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNo, you summed up what my take is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028367&mesg_id=3028398
3028398, No, you summed up what my take is
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Nov-13-20 10:04 PM
This would be like Nas and Rakim doing a Versuz - the one who created the style and the other who innovated it. In this case and the potential battle, the battle isn't exactly peer-to-peer.

OutKast mentioned Tribe as a major influence and both groups are pairs but any similarities end there.

I don't know a natural pairing with OutKast. They're kind of peerless. Maybe Rae and Ghost but I don't think their catalog matches up with. Run DMC, maybe? But their primes never overlapped. By the time OutKast became a thing, Run DMC was a legacy act.

De la and Tribe is the pairing I would most like to see and I imagine most of those who are fans of both groups. Both groups are legitimately peers.

You may be onto something with De La's complicated streaming licensing agreements. I would hope that's the reason more than a promoter legitimately thinking OutKast and Tribe's catalogs mesh well enough for a battle.