Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIn many respects, he is unparalleled
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3028362&mesg_id=3028584
3028584, In many respects, he is unparalleled
Posted by seandammit, Mon Nov-23-20 02:55 PM
Can't think of too many artists whose later work eclipses their earlier stuff in a way in which I almost don't even consider the old work at all (even crazier because the breakout material is supposed to be the seminal work!).

I don't know if that speaks to the fact that maybe his earlier work just wasn't truly that good (I myself never truly loved Labor Days/Float as full albums but they had their moments and I always appreciated what he was doing as far as having an original sound/approach) or if this dude truly is just getting better in every way (technical rapping/mastering his own voice, writing-wise, production, even the hard to quantify taste shit that often will make dope artists begin to slip a bit as they hit middle age).

I need to listen to this new one more. At first glimpse, it checks the boxes in all the aforementioned categories but I don't know if the songs necessarily grab me in the same way that the ones on the previous two albums did. I'm used to digging in and letting his work grow on me, and I'm definitely down for the ride with this one.